Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sweden Mint Stamps With No Gum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 236Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
605 Posts
Posted 11/21/2021   08:03 am  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add wheelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day all:
A recent purchase has many pages of what are with out any doubt mint stamps. Nothing in high catalog values, all in the 1960s to 2001, but none of them have gum. These were not mis-classified by the seller as they are just in a larger lot of many albums. The question is - as sooo many of these have no gum but are otherwise VF-EX, did Sweden produce stamps for the collector market without gum? The only other scenario I can come up with is the previous collector bought a large collection, could be close to 1,000, of mint Swedish stamps that were stuck to the pages and had to soak them all off. There are used and some with gum intermingled as well.
Your thoughts please.
Thanks
Paul
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6117 Posts
Posted 11/21/2021   08:59 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some collectors resident in humid climates have removed gum to prevent damage to the stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Finland
145 Posts
Posted 11/21/2021   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuikka to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not aware of any modern stamps of Sweden been produced for collector's market without gum. I think some official reprints of classic Swedish stamps were produced for stamp handbooks or similar, which may be without gum but except that I am not aware of anything else.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
605 Posts
Posted 11/21/2021   1:26 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good thoughts and comments. Thanks for the feedback.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6754 Posts
Posted 11/21/2021   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure that some of these stamps were not produced with PVA gum?

PVA gum is matte/dull and appears invisible.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
605 Posts
Posted 11/22/2021   12:10 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I just did a search on PVA gum here and found the following from a post in 2009. Looks like a bunch of my Swedish stamps are in fact mint.

"In the last 30 years, Swedish stamps
have a gum that is nearly impossible to see.
Most other countries are either using self
adhesives or old fashion water activated clear
gum which you can see and feel.
"

That is the first I've known about PVA.
Thanks all for the feedback.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05