Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help To Identify French Sower With A Black M Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 710Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 11/21/2021   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cjqjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can not find any reference to a French 10c stamp with a big M overprinted on it. So is an example of someone's craft project, or did I miss it somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
647 Posts
Posted 11/23/2021   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some Belgian stamps have a similar overprint designating the stamp for military parcel post. Maybe this is something similar.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France
2218 Posts
Posted 11/23/2021   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very similar indeed and even bigger
But I've never seen this M on a definitive french stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
790 Posts
Posted 11/23/2021   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it has something to do with Memel, which also used the Sower series?
Valued Member
Finland
183 Posts
Posted 11/23/2021   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuikka to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the basestamp is too new for that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
546 Posts
Posted 11/23/2021   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Military overprint?
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
790 Posts
Posted 11/23/2021   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the basestamp is too new for that

Memel used the French Sower stamps during 1920-1923.
The green Sower stamp was introduced in 1922. If it's blue then you're right - the blue stamp was introduced in the '30s.

Other than that - I saw such a big M only on the West India stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
France
2218 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely a home-made overprint
M for Matthieu or Marie...
Edited by vayolene - 11/24/2021 12:56 am
Valued Member
Finland
183 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   01:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kuikka to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks so solid and so straight that it looks to be way above kitchen grade. Better quality picture would help to figure out the overprint is on or under the postmark.

Edit: Also it could be helpful to be able to read the postmark.
Edited by kuikka - 11/24/2021 01:49 am
United States
2 Posts
Posted 01/27/2022   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjqjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the help. I can not read the postmark. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the M is printed over the postmark.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7159 Posts
Posted 01/27/2022   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a rouletted label with the "sower" image and "M" (and cancel?) added for interest, i.e., a Cinderella.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 01/27/2022 11:31 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 710Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05