Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cutting Out Stamps And "Centering" Issues

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,366Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
- the hobby's primarily about filling in your spare time

I have a full-time job, a wife, three kids, and two dogs. What spare time?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1204 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I first started collecting stamps at the age of seven, I trimmed off all the perforations to make the stamps look neater. My uncle, who was a Serious Stamp Collector, soon put an end to that, and all of those trimmed stamps eventually went into the trash can.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5981 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   1:11 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your instinct was right - it's the design that matters.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Letterpress to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, PPG I didn't know what you meant by "roulette". The term isn't in any of my books, like the Harris guide. Can they do roulette with non-self-adhesives?

On the "have you ever used a stamp?" question, well of course. But that's irrelevant. It hardly matters what people normally do when mailing a bill. I'm specifically asking about collectibles, not what people do in post offices. So I don't understand the attitude. That a person can tear a stamp off by hand doesn't really intersect with my question here. I'd much rather have a clean cut than casual tearing. But if the perforations aren't messy or asymmetric I probably wouldn't mind it too much.
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd much rather have a clean cut than casual tearing.

Well, you do you, as long as you're prepared to all but eliminate resale value, and don't damage anything rare, valuable, or important and screw it up for everyone else in the hobby.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4500 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your way is not the collector way.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7154 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People have tried square wheels too but it did not work out that well.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5981 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   01:11 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Letterpress - rouletting is another means of providing for the separation of stamps. If you look at the Finnish stamps shown earlier in the thread, you'll see that it was used a century before self-adhesive stamps came along in the 1960s.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Letterpress to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff, thanks, how do the roulettes stay attached? Here's the image PPG posted:

I'm also confused by the leftmost seam, where it looks like normal perforation, not roulette. The teeth aren't enmeshed like on the right is it just a misalignment by the photographer?

How do they stay attached though? It looks a perfect solution to hanging chads if they somehow stay attached (through Van der Waals force? ).

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5981 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   09:59 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid I can't help you there. There are many types of rouletting. In general, it's a cruder way of preparing stamps for separation and can often lead to damage to the stamps - the Finnish stamps usually have missing teeth etc.
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm also confused by the leftmost seam, where it looks like normal perforation, not roulette. The teeth aren't enmeshed like on the right is it just a misalignment by the photographer?

Nope, it's a strip of three and a single.
Valued Member
163 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Typically, roulettes do not cut through for the full length they extend, but rather they periocally skip cutting every so often. That leaves very short segments at which the paper between stamps remains intact.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
813 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   03:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think part of the issue here is when you tear stamps from neighbouring stamps, the perforations just nicely ensure you get the tear straight and central. The effect of cutting can be off-centre, so you have trimmed perfs or slighly diagonal. It then raises worries about the integrity of the stamp - is it really complete, and does it look 'normal'.

The main question has been answered - torn stamps are what is wanted.

I'm loathe to mention it but there are machine-cut booklets with cut edges to the perforated stamps. These should be recognised as such and are looked at a bit differently.
Edited by Ringo - 11/26/2021 03:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
820 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   07:00 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Below are two different used 3c Lincoln coil stamps, Scott 600. The left stamp is well-centered with cut perforations on both sides. The right stamp has been separated by "tearing" the perforations.

The left stamp has much better centering than the right stamp. Both stamps are fault-free. Both stamps have not been reperforated.

The stamp on the left has a much higher catalog valuation and would be priced higher due to centering. I believe most collectors would prefer the right stamp without the cut perforations (sure would be great if it had the centering of the left stamp...).

BTW, I don't know why, but even when rotating the image, it still posts as sideways! It looks right-side up as a file on my computer.

(Note: Moderator, if you know how to rotate this image, please try it on this image if you are willing!)

Edited by orstampman - 11/26/2021 08:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
820 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, here they are as right-side-up single images.

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,366Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05