Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Washington 1c/2c, Harding 2c, Roosevelt 5c

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 314Next Topic  

Austria
3 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add maxhenry23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys!

I received a giant box of stamps from my late grandmother and spent days browsing through them and trying to educate myself.

I now have 4 different sets, from out of the thousands, where I'd love to hear your opinion. It's probably not much worth it, but I'd still love to hear if I'm onto smth.

Thanks a lot!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
162 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly is your question?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9921 Posts
Posted 11/24/2021   8:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
You can learn a lot more about your stamps here https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/1847Home.html.
Don
Austria
3 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maxhenry23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks appreciate your help.

-) Is Washington 1c 443, 452, or 490? Can't really tell.
-) Harding #3 could it be a 613? The only way to tell is by measurement?
-) first Washington 2c a 388?
-) Roosevelt 557c?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3762 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check stamp design differences carefully (your 2c reds, for instance.) Always assume the least expensive option until proven otherwise. Invest in a good perforation gauge. Understand the difference between coil, booklet and sheet stamps. Read about difference between flat plate and rotary plate printing process.

Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1077 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep reviewing the information in stampsmarter.org. Washington Franklins are challenging and it takes some time and studying to learn how to distinguish them.
443 is a flat-plate issue. 452 & 490 are rotary press issues.
The Harding stamps are highly unlikely to be 613, a very rare issue
388 is a coil stamp. Coils have two straight edges opposite each other on either the vertical or horizontal edges.
The Roosevelts are not 557c. As with the Harding's, a very rare variety.

Perforation gauge and watermarking tray and fluid are a must have to help you determine what you have. Come back with us again after reviewing stampsmarter some more.
Austria
3 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maxhenry23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks a lot!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05