Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Regarding Identification Of Machin Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Nuc5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have recently began collecting and cataloguing UK Machin Stamps.

As noted on this forum I purchased the Deegam Machin handbook which has an awesome amount of information.

i was hoping someone could explain how to identify where the stamps originate from ie sheet, coil etc.

i also noticed that the height of the stamp value from the edges varies by millimetres(or part of) is there a specific tool which would help do this as opposed to my old school ruler.

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33615 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   04:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My route:
I have a six inch, mechanics steel rule.
I scan my stamps the toggle the images to isolate the small changes
then pencil on the back as templates.

The steel rule works find, using the loupe in the right hand
as one measures.

The ability to scan, save, and crop images
then "toggle" them is an extremely useful method for measuring
and comparing stamps, esp for "flyspecking"

It is understood, new collectors may not have the finance to support this..

Example
Gif maker
https://ezgif.com/maker

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/25/2021 04:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
1125 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am afraid this type of measuring will not help. There, sometimes are size differences. These are due to new issues of an old stamp but rarely to the source.

From OP's post, it appears he has not read the introductory chapters.
You will find at the beginning of an entry a code that will tell you whether that stamp derives from a booklet, counter sheet, stamp roll, or miniature sheet.

In many cases the TCTC-method is indicative. This is explained in the introduction to the handbook. T stands for torn perforation tips and C stands for cut (straight) perforation tips. Start at the top and go clockwise.

A stamp with any C indicates it was separated by cutting. This never occurs with counter sheets - unless someone had too much time on his hand. And this is the caveat: you can fake this (I do not see why anyone would do it, but there are enough clowns around).
Stamp rolls were printed like sheets on the web, but much larger or even without interruption. These were cut in individual rolls. So TCTC (vertical sides cut) should be vertical delivery coils. CTCT should be horizontal delivery coils.

Stamp books were printed in large sheets pasted into booklet covers and cut. Now, a pane of 2 rows of three stamps would have CTTT - CTTT - CCTT / TTCT - TTCT - TCCT. T occurs where there was a stamp in the pane that must have been separated by hand.

Is this fool proof? No. Prestige books exist where individual stamps had adjoined stamps and a margin or stub on all four sides and can exist TTTT. All initial window books had panes with margins all around, so all stamps had TTTT.

It means you also must check for value setting - this is what Rodd shows - but you still must know which is the "original" setting as the value-type-letter indicating this is relative. Head type, value type, phosphor type and/or screen can also be relevant. And, alas, for the used-stamp collector, it could be just the gum type. So, look at the listing to see what detail of combination of such makes it identifiable.

Generally, TCTC - except for the guy with the cutter being funny - would tell about 98% of sources. Most can be confirmed by the other information shown in the handbook. Very rarely, you just cannot be sure.

As for what sources: look at the source code. These tell what type and format. DP... identifies a decimal booklet pane. That is shown in the appendix. So you know which TCTC-combinations should exist.

if the margin is attached you might also be able to tell.

But most importantly: read all the chapters. The above information is there.

Douglas developed a magnifier with scale that would be good enough for identification according to his handbook. Some UK dealers may still have this available. It is quite affordable.
Edited by NSK - 11/25/2021 06:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3209 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   06:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the question regarding sheet vs booklet vs coil, those from standard booklets (not Prestige booklets) can often be determined by perforations. On a sheet, the perfs on all four sides are torn from the sheet but on booklets one edge would be cut. The booklet pane is created by taking a larger pane and then slit along the perforation.

You may see a notation like TCCT (torn, cut, cut, torn) to identify the perfs of a booklet stamp and also note the position in the booklet.. One straight edge is an automatic booklet. The first letter is the top perf and goes clockwise around stamp.

Deegam is not always optimum as step-wise identifier.

See this link.. https://adminware.ca/machin/m_var.htm

This thread has a lot of information.
http://goscf.com/t/10785&whichpage=28
Al
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nuc5 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the information and assistance - much appreciated.
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bicolor1875 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by bicolor1875 - 11/26/2021 2:26 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05