Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp, 90 Cent With Grill, Scott #144 Or #144A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 508Next Topic  
Valued Member

Germany
23 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps_inherit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

could someone help me with this stamp?

It seems to be a #144. Could it be a #144A?

What do you think?

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1217 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   11:12 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The PF search only shows one 144a certified. PSE has zero. Though I can't tell for certain from the scan, it would be a very rare find indeed. It is certainly nicely centered, but some perfs might be reperfed. I would strongly recommend sending it in for a cert.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1259 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the previous post ... have the stamp certified. While it is unlikely to be an I grill (and hence 144A), there is also the possibility of a fake grill. I once purchased a 139 that proved to not be 139 ... the grill was fake.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7152 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot's of reperfing going on.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1259 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Rog. I'm not very accomplished at recognizing reperfs. That said, the only edge that I would give a pass to is the top.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7630 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The other three sides all look suspicious.
Valued Member
Germany
23 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps_inherit to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for your answers.

One question to get better in recognizing reperfs, in general, how it is possible to recognize a reperf from a original perforation?

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1259 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two things about this stamp's perforations caught my eye. First, most of the perforations (left, right, bottom) seem too regular & uniform for a stamp that has been torn from a full pane. Second, when one separates stamps along the perforations, small fibers are left hanging off the perf edges. These fibers are not much in evidence except along the top. The perf tips are too "clean", so to speak.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
501 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly has great eye appeal, but as others remarked, the extreme regularity of perfs on a stamp of that era raises questions. I'd suggest getting itt certified to get a good knowledgeable direct look under the microscope at the grill and the perfs. Probably best to have that done by one of the US groups who look at these often.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
811 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others on the perforations. Nice eye appeal, but I suspect that is 'artificial'. As to the grill - there is one good thing going for the grill being genuine. The back view shows the cancel ink 'bleeding' through at some of the grill points. This is what grills were intended to do - to make the cancelling ink soak into broken fibers of the paper and making it impossible to clean off the cancel and re-use the stamp. It looks like it was grilled before it was cancelled, and the cancel looks good. Not proof, but a good sign.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7152 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with all opinions regarding the perforations and would add that the hole diameters on the left and right are larger than the bottom.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1760 Posts
Posted Yesterday   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't get your hopes up for a 144A. The PF, and probably PSE, won't certify an incomplete I-grill as anything but an H-grill. That's part of the reason the 90c I-grill is so extraordinarily rare - it has to be complete to get serious attention.

FWIW the color of the stamp looks a bit light on my monitor for a National print - but sometimes they are like that. It's not a stopper for submission.
Edited by essayk - Yesterday 12:45 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 508Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05