Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

King George Mufti Issue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 399Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
186 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Trodent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The question is!

Number 236 8 cent orange, the bottom(wide)selvedge is about 18mm from bottom to perfs.

The others shown are about 10-11mm, Narrow selvedge.

Is this 10-11mm common for this issue? or do you think they have been trimmed.

Opinions please.

Trodent
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
780 Posts
Posted 11/25/2021   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What would be the logic in trimming them, and so accurately?
I don't think it's the only stamp series that has selvedge with length variations.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For some issues, it may have been done by the printers and for other issues it may have been done by collectors in order to fit them into their albums and/or mounts. It is probably more acceptable if it was done by the printers.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1073 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's also variation on width of the side selvedge in your examples. I suspect these variations are from the printer, but why there is variation is selvedge size in a series - when the stamps are the same size - is a good question.
Pillar Of The Community
3594 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the cuts are smooth looking and some of the cuts are rough looking with large and small selvedges. When collecting plate blocks, one should ideally look for straight smooth cut wide selvedges on both sides, if possible.
Edited by jogil - 11/27/2021 08:34 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
482 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unitrade does not mention this trimming but in the BNAPS book by Gary Steel he says that" sometimes one or more margins were trimmed resulting in a narrow selvedge" but he does not say why this was done.

In another place in the book he says that the margins can vary between 6.5 to the fill 17.5 mm. Again with no reason why.

I will ask him if he knows as it is an interesting question.

AQ
Edited by Anthraquinone - 11/28/2021 6:51 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
482 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently the reason for this is not known and it appears to be quite random as is the amount of trimming.

I wonder if the edges of the sheets were damaged in some way BEFORE they were printed and they were trimmed to save the paper which otherwise may have been thrown away.

These stamps were issued from 1937 I also wonder if the trimming was only done during the war. I do not think that there is any info as to when each plate was being used. At least I have not seen anything.

AQ
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05