Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying 4 Bundles Of 1, 2, And 3 Cent Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 350Next Topic  

2 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dnwroy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just found 4 bundles of what look like 100 count bundles of stamps. Have no clue about stamps and values other than doing some preliminary Google image searches of these.

Can anyone provide some information of these? A few questions I have:

Were stamps originally sold in bundles like this or is this something that would have been done by someone that collected them? I don't want to unbundle if that would devalue them in any way.

The green GW stamps look like traditional stamps but the others look like they're embossed directly on an envelope. Am I seeing that correctly? The back sides show indentations in the paper, like a notary stamp.

What would be the best way to determine the value, if any, of these?

Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unbundling these will not reduce the value. It's just like raking up leaves and putting them in a bag, or baling hay. These are common stamps that you will find in great numbers, and they are even called 'bundleware'. The only way to search for a special variety is to open them up and look at all of them. If they were valuable you would not have that many...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Were stamps originally sold in bundles like this or is this something that would have been done by someone that collected them?

The latter, the reason why? is beyond me.
Perhaps it is the way of the collector, everything packaged in little lots.
A very "old fashioned thing" do not see it regularly these days.
Spoils the perf teeth, stamps can adhere together.
All round not a good idea.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7680 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a time when this was done a lot. Time to look for varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6765 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems obvious to think that the thread would/will damage the bundled stamps, but years ago condition must not have been important to many collectors.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 11/26/2021 7:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
540 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
speaking of condition or damaging items one of the old time methods of selling items consisted of straight pining them to a cork board or piece of fabric.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7440 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen vintage advertisements from stamp wholesalers that would sell bundles of 100 to the trade. I believe this is where it started. I have purchased really old dealer stock bulk lots that had cartons of bundles.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
973 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Old dealers bundles can potentially be a goldmine, given the right issues. Many of the varieties, cancels, etc... that people are interested in today just weren't looked for back in the day. I love these and have bought my fair share, even finding stamps with 4 figure values. It's all in how much time and energy and research you want to put into them.
2 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dnwroy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses everyone. This is helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1926 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fancy cancels are very popular, and many interesting varieties can be bound on the bank note issues. Hopefully you have some in the 3-cent bundle.

Here are two examples that I was not able to find in the cancellation books that I have. I call them the top hat and bear paw cancels:

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05