Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Accessing Out Of Print Stanley Gibbons Materials

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 532Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a question that people familiar with Stanley Gibbons Albums and Supplies may be able to answer.

I recently purchased a topical collection, arranged circa 1975, that was mounted in two Stanley Gibbons Albums on blank quadrille pages. These cleaned up nicely and would be perfect for a project of mine, except for the fact that I would need a third album. I have had no luck trying to find them new from a dealer so presume they are no longer made.

They come in protective sleeves, boxes actually, as each has a protective flap over the open end. One is Black in colour, the other is a dark blue. There are no marking on the boxes or on the outside of the albums but on the inside cover of the Black one, stamped in Gold, is "The Plymouth Stamp Album" and an SG Crest (open book). The Blue Album has similar information but stamped on the edge of the page retainer rather than the cover. This says "The Plymouth No. 3210" and "Stanley Gibbons Ltd. Made in England" It has the SG initial in a Winged Triangle.

Each book contains 73 quadrille pages with attached glassine cover sheet. In both books the pages each have the descriptor "SG Linen-Hinged Leaf #3123 Made in England" printed on them.

It would be great to be able to locate these somewhere somewhere in Canada but it does look like I am going to have to go further afield. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6548 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   1:58 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These were, I think, one group in a series of Gibbons peg albums - Devon and Exeter are others. There were linen-hinged and standard pages. The Devon album was available until quite recently, but has, I think, now been discontinued. The Frank Godden peg albums were the same size.

Dauwalders had white quadrille leaves to fit these albums, although they aren't listed on the website - you could email them if interested. My memory is that they sold them as "Monarch".

https://www.dauwalders.co.uk/salisb...s-2134-c.asp

Devon etc binders come up on eBay uk - I must have sold fifteen or so myself.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link. I will give them a try. I note your reference to a peg album and I saw that reference once as I was looking for the albums on line. I have yet to figure out exactly how to open these to add or remove pages. Very tight, unlike the Scott or Minkus albums, and I am reluctant to try and force anything.

Could always resort to u tube I suppose. There seems to be a how to video for everything else!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6548 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   4:04 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a small fitting with a circular knob in the centre. Push it up to open, then pull up the lever at the top of the album. If they're stiff, try some WD-40, with a gentke shove with a metal object if necessary.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
887 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   5:21 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could always try an eBay search. I've had some luck getting out-of-production SG items on there (I grew up in London in the early 1970's and a lot of my blank albums are SG which is why I wanted to match some up).
A while ago, Subway had some SG material they were selling as close-outs. Dunno if they still have them. The prices were way inexpensive for new binders and pages, but their service sucks, so I don't play with them anymore.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05