Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

George Seahorse, Need Help Identify Cancellation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 397Next Topic  
Valued Member

Sweden
110 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ubiyca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I got this George Seahorse stamp with a very nice cancellation. But I don't know what area it's from, can anyone tell me or recognize the cancellation?

I flipped the picture upside down so you can read more easily.

Best wishes, Dan

Send note to Staff
Edited by ubiyca - 11/28/2021 07:47 am

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6124 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   07:53 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first offer would be Wilton Road at the top, Hudson Place at the bottom. In Victoria, London SW1.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Sweden
110 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34185 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New Discovery !
Wilton Rd Hudson's Place
(Not in 23,000 Postmark database)

yet to find it in my records

Click image to expand.
used in 1934

Here is the location.
Perhaps it was part of Victoria Station ?
Edited by rod222 - 11/28/2021 6:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6124 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   6:51 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's now a side-road next to the station, leading to some vile post-war architecture. That area's been knocked around so much over the years - mostly for the worse.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34185 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
some vile post-war architecture.

Yes, I saw that.
the strip includes, McDonalds, Starbucks, West Cornwall Pastry, and Burger King. (apologies to the arteries)

Hudson's Place refers to the RAILWAY KING George Hudson.

Wilton Road (1833) incorporated Wilton Terrace (1890) so that may be another side street, or lane perhaps.
Edited by rod222 - 11/28/2021 7:01 pm
Valued Member
Sweden
110 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! Is it a rare postmark?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34185 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting! Is it a rare postmark?

Hi ubiyca,
Probably a good idea, to scrap the word "rare", a very badly over used
philatelic term. "Scarce" is more amenable.

Probably not, as we see, it has been in service, at least 2 years
in a very populous location in London.
We would expect to see many examples.

That said, I cannot find any reference to it anywhere in my records,
(still looking) but that does not mean it is scarce, just poorly reported, Postmark collecting is not a major discipline for many collectors.
If it were scarce, that may not translate to any great value either.

Certainly a curious postmark, and a post office yet to be discovered by me, in print, anywhere.

A keeper.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3123 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've not seen this postmark but it seems to have been a significant post office at one time.

The name of the post office turned up in the first paragraph of the Post Office Daily List of 1st September 1934:

The full notice is on the GBPS website at:

https://www.gbps.org.uk/information...4-09-01s.pdf
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34185 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are a gem, Nigel.
Fabulous!
Searchable *.pdf as well

Perhaps the late posting advice, would be mail accepted at Victoria Station, to be dropped off at Heathrow (26 Km) (Airport only 5 years old at that stage)
Not sure if rail went to Heathrow though.

Edited by rod222 - 11/29/2021 6:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3123 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

That's an interesting point.

At the time the main airport was Croydon and I guess that would have been easy to reach from Victoria.

There are still dozens of trains every day to East Croydon from Victoria and there are other stations even closer to the site of the airport.

A Google search result claims:

"The average journey time by train between London Victoria and East Croydon is 25 minutes, with around 197 trains per day."
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34185 Posts
Posted 11/29/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, appreciation Nigel. Croyden then.

Birth of the Short Empire Boats for Air Mail!
https://www.britishairways.com/en-g...st/1930-1939
Edited by rod222 - 11/29/2021 7:49 pm
Valued Member
Sweden
110 Posts
Posted 12/01/2021   06:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the information guys, and for you taking the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated!

You have a good one!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05