Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finally Will Get To Find Out What Ferrary Had

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,005Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1536 Posts
Posted 11/30/2021   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone found a stamp with his mark on the back? I'm wondering if he put his mark on many of his stamps.

Stanley Gibbons presently offers a British Guiana 'cottonreel' ex-Ferrary with his handstamp, as well as a GB rarity that appeared in one of the 1925 auctions.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7470 Posts
Posted 11/30/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see ex-Ferrary every so often in auctions. The items have his stamp or are traceable to the dispersal auctions.

A search on Cherrystone returned at least 50 hits from past auctions.

Siegel returned 212 hits:

https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd....emailflag=on

Edited by rogdcam - 11/30/2021 3:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1925 Posts
Posted 11/30/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen ex-Ferrary several times when describing New South Wales "Sydney Views" in various auctions.
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
Posted 11/30/2021   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the tips in finding his mark, cjalmermo1964 and rogdcam... Found this handy table too on Trish Kaufmann's site. https://www.trishkaufmann.com/provenance
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5702 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received my book about the auctions of the Philip Ferrary Collection cost to my house $250.00 .

I am now learning to read philatelic words in French .

Excellent book about what was in these many auctions .

Got a real appreication for his work and the size of his collection amazing life time effort to put it together . I hope to write more as I spend time going over each auction .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7470 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nous attendons votre rapport
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6127 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   11:50 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you can "tu" floortrader - he won't stand on ceremony.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5702 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be fair about looking at this , I need three other books .......First a stamp catalog dated from when P. Ferrary was going around Europe and visiting stamp dealers ,then to better read the Auction catalogs ,I would need a stamp catalog from the time of the sale of his collection .Then use one of my current stamp catalogs to compare how information has changed/improved details of what he had .

Guess what I am trying to say ,is what he had was he ahead of the other stamp dealers in developing the style and methods that later became accepted by the rest of the philatelic community . That is why I want the other catalogs .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7470 Posts
Posted 12/21/2021   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Floortrader - Just curious how you are making out with your Ferrary project.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5702 Posts
Posted 12/21/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would of liked to sit with Philipp Ferrary out on my patio and spend many hours talking stamps with him . He was clearly head and shoulders above everyone else with both his experience and knowledge about stamps ,maybe a few days talking just to understand how he put it all together. Lots of respect to his details on the subject ,clearly not a whale who threw his money around but someone who was building a collection beyond what the catalogs were listing at that time {I have the 1902 Scott catalog }

It is fun and educational to match the stuff listed in the auction catalogs to these three Scott catalogs the Scott 1902 ,Scott 1927 and the 2019 Classic Catalog .....and learning a little French as I go .
.....Ferrary and me would kill off a few beers talking about our stamps with me doing more listening while Phil could drink away .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7470 Posts
Posted 12/21/2021   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I heard Phil could pack away the wine and cheese and STILL found time for weight training!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,005Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05