Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whats Happening To My Stamps In The Stockbook, Help

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,446Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So a slipcase, and improved ventilation won't do any difference in terms of preventing (or lessen the risk) of toning and foxing due to environmental causes?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found another very good example (even worse than my stamps) on an auction site. You can clearly see how many of the stamps are bending out in a U-shape or whatever you want to call it. While some lay flat. Im convinced that it has to do with the gum in combination with maybe temperature as many of you already stated. And as I said before when they bend out like this they become stiff and crispy-like.

Another theory is that the hinge is causing this or at least making it worse.

I forgot to ask, why is it that some stamps watermark becomes more visible, and some stamps colors goes through to the back???? Almost like the gum is dissolving, or is thinning out making it more translucent.

Edited by ubiyca - 12/05/2021 08:00 am
Valued Member
Sweden
112 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so I have bought the hygrometer now and have it turned on. It shows exactly 30-32% humidty where my stamps are stored, temperature 21 Celcius. So this is the reason that the stamps feel "stiffer" and slightly bend/"curly"?

I put a bowl of water next to the radiator and a wet towel hanging on the radiator (which is off), and the humidity increased to 36%. It's placed about 2 meters from the stamp albums.

Is this the right approach?!

(It's wintertime here in Sweden I might add, and -2 degrees Celcius outside.)
Edited by ubiyca - 01/07/2022 12:12 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,446Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05