Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited A Massive Collection, Here's Some Of It

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,206Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
10 Posts
Posted 12/01/2021   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add craddockwg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have what seems like thousands of stamps. Have some sheets, have some really old ones, have a lot of envelopes and postcards. I'll start with the US stuff. A lot of loose stamps I realize were kept for different cancellations and pictured some I thought were interesting. Was my great uncles who died in 1946. All were collected between the years 1929-46, stamps go back to the earliest editions.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 12/01/2021   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craddockwg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 12/01/2021   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craddockwg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 12/01/2021   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craddockwg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 12/01/2021   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craddockwg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 12/01/2021   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craddockwg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a lot of fun. But I don't see enormous monetary value so far, if that is what you are looking for.
Learn More...
United States
10124 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   08:35 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
Looks like a great start on a new hobby! If you are looking for information on your stamps, here is good place to start https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/1847Home.html
Don
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craddockwg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has been a lot of fun! Is just cool to learn about all the history and how stamps work in general. Not too curious about the value, unless of course there is a million dollar stamp, but there's so much I don't know where to start. What I pictured are basically just examples, maybe 10-15% of the collection, but over the next few weeks I'll keep posting as I go through it. Won't get to the bulk of it until around Christmas.

We've got maybe 200+ early postcards, some post office and others pictorial. Have 4 more stamp books, another sheet book, thousands of loose stamps, hundreds of envelopes, maybe 100 mid-late 1800s receipts.

As I go through it I'm also starting to learn more about him and how he collected. Am starting to think if he had a valuable stamp it's be front and center in one of his books. I've only been able to look at 1/5 books but will check the others when back at the grandparents house.

It also seems he had stamp collecting pen pals around the world. Is it a tthing where you'd write other stamp collectors to get their countries stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
646 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool stuff. We love seeing the stamps. Please work on taking and posting the photos so that everything is correctly oriented. Just easier for everyone.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34194 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious about this one,
anyone recognise it?

OK found it further up
TATHAM STAMP Co
Springfield Mass.
King George V

Edited by rod222 - 12/02/2021 5:13 pm
Valued Member
Canada
390 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
deleted
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 12/02/2021 5:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1261 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who else but rod222 would ask a question about a stamp with King Geeorge on it and tell you before you can identify it yourself? Kooodos on the quick research rod.

Mike
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34194 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Mike,
...and from the SCF World Knowledge base.........
http://goscf.com/t/19660 br /

Opinions..."Gold dust" or $4.95 take your pick.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are oriented correctly. You get a good sense about the collector by seeing what he or she collected—the condition, the scope of the collection and how much was spent on the collection and the care used to preserve it. There is clearly some emphasis on plateblocks, partial sheets with the late number attached and sheets. I'm thinking that the bulk of the collecting was in the 1930's.
Edited by funcitypapa - 12/04/2021 12:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craddockwg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@funcitypapa I appreciate that input! You'd be correct on all fronts. Sounds like he started collecting around 1930 and seems to have done the most collecting towards the middle of the decade. Definitely a big focus on sheets, we have a couple more books of them I haven't opened yet. Also a big emphasis on envelopes and old receipts, I don't have many pictures of those posted yet but there are probably 3-4 shoeboxes of them. Earliest letter I found in the small portion I grabbed was 1845.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,206Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05