Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Wmk And Expert Mark.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 552Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Onaroll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Whatever information would be great.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4584 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please post scan of the front.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onaroll to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   12:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More info on your stamp (it can only be one watermark) https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/18...tml#Scott281
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6474 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   12:43 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that collectors and dealers, as well as experts, marked the backs of stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
663 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The watermark is a reversed double line S. Easiest to see if you look at it with the right side turned to the bottom.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onaroll to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, if life has taught me anything. It has taught me anything is possible and to never say never. Lol
Yes I understand a lot of people fill the need to leave there mark.
Gentlemen my question is have you ever seen an S wmk like that before?
Pillar Of The Community
4362 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Various references show the 8 permutations of the watermark positions depending on how the paper was fed. This is scanned from the Scott U.S. Specialized catalog, with a red square added to detail what appears on your stamp. The illustration does have the letters too close, so just imagine them with a gap between each letter.
Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/M...ermarks.html - click on 'Pop-up watermark tool'
Don
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Onaroll to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you gentlemen very helpful as always. I think someone should write a book on all the different S watermarks published.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
610 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do love print books, but it would be tough for a book to achieve the interactive functionality of Don's pop-up watermark tool at StampSmarter. Very nice Don....

Looking at the owner's or expert's mark on OP's stamp, it appears to me to be a "J" and a "B."

I am aware of the experts' mark site at https://www.filatelia.fi/experts/index.html which has been mentioned in one or two other Forum threads. I looked somewhat quickly through the B's (surname) and did not see anything likely.

I would also be very interested in some similar site giving owners' marks. Anyone know of one? Many such marks would be unknown I'd bet, but there might someday be utility in something along these lines that showed these sorts of marks. Or at least a vehicle to partially satisfy curiosity....

Here's one that I picked up a couple years back on the verso of a rather pleasing US 397. Was the owner a big chess player as well as a stamp collector? Or perhaps s/he was named "Knight?" Does anyone else have a stamp from this owner? Or from our OP's "JB" or "BJ"?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would also be very interested in some similar site giving owners' marks. Anyone know of one?

Trish Kaufmann's site has a page of expert/owners' marks specifically related to Confederate philately:

https://www.trishkaufmann.com/provenance
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 552Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05