Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grill-Like Marks On A 11A - Just Someone Experimenting With Fake Grill Machine?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 520Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1252 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   1:50 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone want to venture a guess as to how these grill-like marks got here?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2499 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to speculate that the stamp was likely affixed with a wax seal and that is the remnant from it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poofo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was a kid someone at church gave me his old collection, and it contained a quite a few stamps with a very similar pattern on the back. I ask him about them. He said that after soaking stamps he would lay them face up on a towel inside a book press. I resoaked and pressed them, and most of the dents went away. ;)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1252 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting ideas so far. The wax seal idea seems somewhat more probable, but the area covered by dots seems to be in the center of the stamp. A seal there wouldn't actually affix it to anything. But ok. Could be that. I think the dots are too sharp to be from a towel - but sounds like a good lesson on how not to dry stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2461 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   7:01 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp was affixed with two drops of wax and pressed on with the same tool used to seal letters, folded letters usually. Pretty common really.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1252 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   7:34 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, now I understand. So the seal press has points on it and those pressed into the stamp. Thanks for that explanation. I feel just a bit wiser today.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
858 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have one just like it, in the bank (no photo - sorry!), and always thought of it as some type of 'environmental' damage, like someone was rolling a pointy thing (for some unknown reason) and the stamp/envelope happened to be underneath. It doesn't look anything like a real PO grilling device, nor even a very early attempt at such a device. It also has been in my family since the 1930's, so it doesn't seem to be a 'modern' attempt at underhandedness. Although, in the 1930's, the 1930's probably seemed modern (if you know what I mean) and they were not above doing underhanded things for a few bucks. Anyway, you and I have the 'same' thing. It is nice to see some new ideas here about what caused it/them!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Netherlands
511 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi,

some people did not trust the gum on stamps and attached by wax.this is what might have caused it.

below see my PF certified example of scott 1 on RR cover

Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that the PF typo'd on the cert. Editing is a lost art.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
858 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see a typo. Maybe I need another caffeine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1764 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the final statement of opinion the word "with" is entered twice. ...with with ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
858 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha! That is like one of those YouTube "Spot The 7 Errors" puzzles. I can only ever spot 6.
Pillar Of The Community
4092 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's why it is better to point out the exact error, rather than a casual mention which makes it into a game.
Why not just initially say: "Did you notice the 'with with' typo on the cert"?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 520Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05