Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maybe The Postal Service Needs To Pack It In

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 2,006Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community

United States
705 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add funcitypapa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
An example of our postal service today:

Item won at auction. Check sent by certified mail by 1pm on November 22 from post office at Tampa International Airport meaning that letter left for Dallas, Tx by air no later than Tuesday, November 23. As I write this note 10 days later, still not received at auction house.

And for this kind of service, the postal commission thinks rate hikes are justified?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8025 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This past week I received a bill that was due November 15. It was mailed at the end of October. If I do not pay my bills electronically I would be out a lot of money for late payment

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1349 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By sending it certified, it probably will take much longer. I can send a letter/ cheque across Canada/the continent and they get it in 5 days at most on average. Send it registered or certified and it stops along the path, adding several more days to its final arrival date. Maybe?

Edit: And don't forget thanksgiving holiday on Nov. 25th, was closed in Canada as I figure the US would also do.
Edited by No1philatelist - 12/02/2021 5:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not certified though? Registered ya it stops at every pony show on the way, but certified just gets scanned as it passes through or something, right? There are no handstamps for stops along the way from what I thought— though I've sent much certified mail I've actually never received anything certified
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8511 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have started to have mail bounce endlessly back and forth between distribution centers just like last year. I am getting flashbacks.

Yes, Registered mail will take forever and frequently not be scanned. Certified should only run into the usual problems ala being tossed in a parked trailer for weeks on end.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
553 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USPS problems are worse than you think. An Express Mail package was sent to me on November 19, it arrived at the Syracuse NY Distribution Center on November 19 at 8:55 PM and has not been logged in to date. Now 13 days and counting for an "overnight" shipment.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've run into this problem several times in the past year where mail from, say Arizona, coming to California, will get here via New York or somewhere on the east coast. Whatever happened to sending things in a vaguely straight line?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
517 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are they still using those self-driving trucks?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, so many mistakes listed for the 53 Billion first class items mailed annually. The mistake numbers are horrible, horrible indeed.

If one uses Priority-Express and it is delayed you can apply for a refund of the postage costs. I have not had any refund requests rejected.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 12/03/2021 12:46 am
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postal system is one of the best values around--send a letter anywhere in the US for 58 cents? Certified for $3.35? You could have overnighted it by Fed Ex--only starting at $33 and going up to $77 if you want it there by 8:30am. . . The post office is not perfect, but look what it actually costs, Fed Ex 3 days is over $9. Puts things in perspective . . .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3436 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DeJoy has noticed the price differences and why he is pushing for the USPS to raise rates so as to not leave money on the table.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8511 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow, so many mistakes listed for the 53 Billion first class items mailed annually. The mistake numbers are horrible, horrible indeed.

Given that the USPS's own data for on-time delivery is pretty abysmal I agree that it is horrible, horrible indeed.

https://about.usps.com/what/perform...ormance.html

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1423 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   11:44 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to give a different example, I recently sent some stamps to the PF using USPS overnight express and on the same day some stamps were sent from Siegel to me on Fedex overnight. The PF got the package the next morning. My Fedex package took 4 days. Doesn't mean USPS is better than Fedex, but it shows the USPS is not the only one struggling right now.
Edited by rlsny - 12/03/2021 4:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add percyjgp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was supposed to have a certified auction package delivered last week. It has been at the Post Office since last week saying "No access to delivery address." Whatever that means. Weird since the postman drives past my house everyday and delivers the regular mail. I guess I may try to go pick it up this weekend at the Post Office.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
705 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul Sonya—it is only a value if the letter gets delivered, and in the time window as promised. Not everything mailed has an open ended delivery schedule. I submit that 12 days and counting for a certified letter from Tampa International Airport (PO) to Dallas, Texas is unreasonably long in this day and age.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8511 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just received a registered letter from Italy today that took 14 days in transit so 12 days and counting Tampa to Dallas is just silly.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 2,006Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05