Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crypto Stamps And Collecting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 365Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
594 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add centerstage98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thoughts and comments about NFT stamps? (not even sure that is the correct term) And collecting of such.

APS website now has a 2-part Q-and-A with Andrii Shapovalov, co-founer of stampsdaq.com. (He also has spoken with "Conversations with Philatelists")

He says company is deep into conversations with UPU and postal administrations.

I don't understand it all, but it's interesting.

Others' thoughts?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7444 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that Postal Services (looking at you in particular USPS) need to keep their focus on figuring out how to deliver the mail more efficiently rather than NFT's. No, I don't think that they can do both at once.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   09:03 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that crypto currency is here to stay but I do not agree that crypto stamps have a future. Postal mail is well along evolving to email which is instant and virtually free of cost. I do not see any innovation in applying 'crypto' to something that is clearly in decline.

But putting that aside, I still do not see the point. Cryptocurrency has a number of well documented advantages over traditional currencies. World-wide universal acceptance, lower cost (lower transaction and bank exchange fees), better security features, a 'digital ledger' transaction history, and decentralization (currency is managed by a network and not a single entity). These advantages are a type of globalization, removing the dependency of a currency upon a single issuing country. So for a crypto stamp to be the same thing it would be a global stamp that would be good for use in any country in the world. Every country would lose the its income in producing their own stamps. Who becomes the issuing entity of a worldwide crypto stamp (certainly not a single country). Unlike commerce, where sellers are typically free to accept any type currency they want, postal systems are tightly controlled by governments. So why would a country want to give up profitable stamps for a universal stamp?

I am not seeing any benefit in a country simply replacing a traditional stamp with a crypto stamp. If someone can list the benefits or innovation in crypto stamps please list them for the rest of us to understand.

Our hobby is rooted in nationalism. Folks who are globalists support things like a universal cryptocurrency but the stamps and postal history we collect reflects nationalism in almost every way.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7444 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A USPS OIG report from 2016 gives an excellent overview of the topic. The excerpt below explains delivery component benefits. The full report focuses more on crypto in other USPS service sectors and is a good read. (Full report link below excerpt)

Quote:
A final application that might also prove useful for the Postal Service is better supply chain management: using blockchain to identify packages and mail in the same way individuals can be identified. As mentioned previously, blockchain removes the need for trust between parties, allowing it to coordinate the activities between parties more efficiently. The Postal Service has a number of customers, partners, contractors and other stakeholders that it coordinates with, including: other posts, customs agencies, shipping partners (UPS and FedEx), long-haul trucking drivers, mailers, and recipients. Using blockchain to manage interactions between these different entities could speed up shipments, particularly international ones.

Imagine if each mailpiece was embedded with a sensor that could keep track of its own chain of custody while executing smart contracts for payment and customs clearance. Each mailpiece, whether a parcel or letter, could be uniquely identified on a blockchain and have the ability to create transactions, allowing for the timely sharing of information and processing of payments. It would currently be prohibitively expensive to tag every piece of mail with a sensor. However, it may be possible that the
Postal Service could initially use the blockchain approach on high-value shipments in its early adoption stages and then rely on downward pressure on the cost of sensors to expand the feasibility of wider use over time.

This application would allow the Postal Service to keep an auditable chain of custody and embed additional shipment and tracking information to facilitate customs clearance and faster delivery. Furthermore, payment processing could be integrated directly into the shipping process — and paying in a digital currency would lower costs for online merchants and facilitate ecommerce while also allowing people without bank accounts to participate.

This approach is already being tested in the private sector: one of the current experiments on the Ethereum blockchain involves invoices that are automatically paid when a shipment arrives. There could be great potential for such an application in the cases of dropshipping, worksharing, or settlement of international terminal dues.
In essence, blockchain technology allows for close linkages between the financial, logistics, and delivery parts of commercial transactions with the power to unify payment and delivery in one seamless experience. Posts could become a single intermediary between merchants and customers, allowing them to reduce coordination needs, offer more efficient ecommerce solutions, contribute to the growth of ecommerce (particularly cross-border ecommerce), and increase their market share and revenue.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/defau...P-16-001.pdf
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   09:24 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How is blockchain much different then tracked services now? Sorry, I just do not see it adding much value.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bitcoin is one of a staggering 7773 cryptocurrencies in the world.
source : coinmarketcap
Edited by rod222 - 12/03/2021 5:27 pm
Valued Member
58 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If mail goes the way of cryptocurrency, a few factors would have to happen:

a) As with Iceland which has stopped issuing stamps as of 2021, postage is taken care of using QR codes so why not include cryptocurrency?

b) I do not think it will be reduced to one global stamp until we are fairly along the way of colonizing other habitable planet or mining those less habitable. Then one global stamp agency would be feasible and cryptocurrency would be quite a viable option. In this case, it would be likely the United Nations crytpostamps would be employed. Smaller postal administration may still remain for regional mail but the issuance of stamps would be greatly reduced. Or, like the UN, stamps would be more collected than used --- sort of how the United States Mint creates scarcities or difficult to acquire coins with its annual commemorative and NIFC issues. I shared in one of the threads my UNPA crypto stamps. I was so fascinated by them that I purchased the same ones with a CTO just for fun.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbmorris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't confuse a tracking ledger (Blockchain, USPS mail tracking DB, FedEx Tracking DB, etc.) with payment (Cryptocurrency, Checking Account, PayPal, etc.). Currently the USPS uses Bar Codes, that could be replaced/augmented with Sensors, QR Codes, etc. There is no reason that postage stamps could not be replaced by some other validation of payment, including the bar code.

The problem is that a good percentage of the population is not online, so requiring automated payment eliminates a good segment of the population and will still require manual payment with some form of currency. Once payment is made, the tracking could be done any way they want.

The last issue is the cost of blockchain and cryptocurrency. With all the encryption, hashing and signing components, they are not suited for high volume transactions, so the comments about high value shipments is probably the best use of both blockchain and cryptocurrency.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7444 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will any of this help the USPS deliver stuff on time?

It is to the point where tracking is just a tool to show you how slow and nonsensical the journey of your mail piece is. Tracking has proven a boon to the pharmaceutical industry, specifically HBP meds.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 365Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05