Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Latest Kelleher Auction - Unreal Competition!

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,242Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

604 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rismoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Were the estimates positioned low for this sale to drum up interest? This seems to be a really competitive landscape. I just tuned in and am a bit surprised by the interest levels being so vibrant. Maybe there is a shortage of material priced for resale and people think there is real opportunity here.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
139 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A large number of the first 50 lots went to a few repeat buyers. Not sure what price impact that has had.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7440 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We must be looking at different auctions. With the exception of Lot 2 everything went under, slightly over or at estimate that I can see.

Lot 2 had the following "not a ringing endorsement" description:

Quote:
the overall quality ranges from decent to spacefiller with some items listed possibly not correctly

Not sure why it the bidding went bananas unless two or more viewers saw something really special in it. Sounds more like emotions got the better of some folks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7680 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would not be the first time that something was missed by the house but spotted by the buyers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7440 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is for sure Rev.
Valued Member
347 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume that the high bidders viewed that material in person. Not likely viewed from online images only?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5693 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The question about viewing , if a buyer has been to 4 or 5 previous stamp auctions and has had positive results on his purchases . Then I think they can be more aggressive in their bidding without viewing or traveling to the auction firm .

I found Kelleher fair with the way they price the Worldwide country collections ,it has been my experience at two different firms never to bid or buy without looking at the material because the write ups leaves too much up in the air .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7440 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But to find something in a large collection that the House missed you need to view it. No?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7680 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not really a problem for a lot of dealers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1590 Posts
Posted 12/03/2021   10:25 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I arrived at Kelleher today at 5:05 PM from FL. I thought it was closed but after a more careful look I realized the auction was still in progress but only 2 floor bidders left.

They had no problem letting me view lots and I was the only one viewing but I had 2 staff helping me. I only looked at 3 lots but the one I thought I really wanted I probably won't even bid on and the one I thought might be OK was one of the best lots I've ever seen. To me seeing lots in person is extremely important, but that's just me!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5693 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW ------Sat thru today's auction on SAN , put in about 30 bids on 8 different lots , got nothing .On only two lots was I the underbidder. Prices just ran away from me .
Edited by floortrader - 12/04/2021 8:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1073 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Followed much of the auction today, and yes, the bidding was solid overall. In some areas, such as Italy collections, which often can be had for a small % of CV, the winning bids were surprisingly high. Only had a couple lots to bid on, didn't pick up anything.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1590 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   9:17 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sat through most of it with only 1 other bidder in the room. I looked at a lot of items and based on what I saw I thought the prices were high. Usually I can buy a collection and make a profit by breaking it up but I am doubtful I will make much on the items I bought today.

The collection #636 was one of the nicest I've ever seen, very meticulous with lots of extras. I was underbidder but I was bidding way more than I wanted to. It contained only Europe but still sold for $37,500.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5693 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken ----I went for some of the French Colonies , try to get those better single country collections, as I said above those just took off leaving me behind .

I was surprised how well those sets of Internationals did ,this seens tp brought out the collectors because I can not see how a reseller could turn a profit at those high prices.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1590 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   10:54 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The ones that got me were the big Minkus collection that had been broken down into regional collections. I compared these to the big Minkus collection I bought at the last auction. I thought the one a bought was just a little stronger but the regional Minkus when added together sold for twice what I paid. IMO This is a smart way to sell a big collection but it is tough on my business plan.

I bought 2 of the regional Minkus lots and will soon know how I made out.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
604 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The many EFO lots that were presumably Langs' holdings went through the roof. I expect to see the buyers hitting 5-10x returns by breaking them up into individualblots, even at those prices. EFOs at wholesale prices dont come often. $30k for 3000 stamps is still cheap vs their retail capability. Dont know where they came up with 10-15k estimate, unlessn that was marketing gimick to draw prople in.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,242Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05