Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nicaragua Air Mail Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 188Next Topic  
Valued Member

Sweden
110 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ubiyca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't get the fact that people ignore covers where the stamps has low cat value. Noone wanted this except me, so I bought it.

Beautiful colors and clean.

Do you ignore covers that you find beautiful just because the stamps isn't high cat stamps?

Send note to Staff
Edited by ubiyca - 12/04/2021 05:53 am

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6122 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   05:55 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ooops Geoff beat me to it

Abraham Dixon, and later his brother of George, moved to Birmingham to work in the firm and by 1844 had become partners. In 1846 there is a notice to say the Business is to be carried on by George and Abraham Dixon and Thomas Lloyd. Thomas Lloyd undertook the foreign travel needed by the commitments of the firm. This included a residence for a couple of years in Australia, and also journeys to Mexico and parts of S. America.

The firm had begun by importing wine from Portugal and Spain, but soon began to export various metal products from Birmingham and the surrounding area. The firm tended to focus on markets in Central and South America, along with the West Indies. The business expanded greatly and around the late 1850s according to George's daughter "the money came rolling in."

One of their main trades was the gun trade. It is reported that during the American Civil War Washington requested the firm to purchase every available gun in Birmingham and the district. In 1860 the firm also obtained the management of the patent for the Wilson breech loading rifle.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...o-ltd.50138/
Edited by rod222 - 12/04/2021 06:01 am
Valued Member
Sweden
110 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   06:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, interesting.
Valued Member
86 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add michaelschreiber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ubiyca,

The airmail rate to Europe in 1937 was 15 centavos per 5 grams or part thereof, plus 7˝ centavos letter postage for the first 20 grams.

So the cover is overpaid by ˝ centavo. Overpayment is not unusual.

MS
Nicaragua Study Group
Valued Member
Sweden
110 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand. My question to everybody was, however, whether they bought covers which were beautiful even though the stamps on the cover might be worth very little. :-)
Pillar Of The Community
4104 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why purchase a cover?

Every collector has a different reason. Some for the value, the stamp, the art, the rate, etc. What is "beautiful" to one collector is ugly to the next. Everyone collects differently - and there is often a considerable difference between a "stamp collector" and a "postal history collector". You were the first to find this particular cover "beautiful" enough to your eye to buy it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7680 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased many inexpensive covers because I found them either attractive or "cool" in some way.
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect both Canada and US covers, but they have to be old, attractive and in good condition. The stamps are usually between 1c and 3c, so I don't have too many that have a high sale value.

my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
Sweden
110 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great answers, I totally agree. Even some advertising covers are very cool.
Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postal history is fun too...

my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 188Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05