Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weekly Philatelic Gossip Magazine

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 979Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   1:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am seeking copies of the old Weekly Philatelic Gossip publication; I have the years 1928-1933 and am digitizing them for publishing on Stamp Smarter. If anyone has any of the other issues, I would be willing to cover the cost of mailing them to me for scanning and returning them to you. Alternatively, I would also be able to use your scans of your copies. Or...I would be willing to purchase your hard copies.
Don
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
387 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only $1 per year. That's sumthin to tell the gals about. You didn't hear that from me though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 12/04/2021 1:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7680 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a small amount at the time:
If you want to compare the value of a $1.00 Commodity in 1929 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
real price of that commodity is $15.10
real value in consumption of that commodity is $30.00
labor value of that commodity is $54.50 (using the unskilled wage) or $63.10 (using production worker compensation)
income value of that commodity is $73.80
economic share of that commodity is $200.00
Valued Member
United States
337 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

I have privately bound copies that cover:

September 22, 1934 - March 15, 1935
March 18, 1939 - September 9, 1939
September 16, 1939 - March 9, 1940

I'm pretty sure I have one or two others lying around somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look tonight. I might also have various loose issues. Send me an email and we'll work something out.
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   05:40 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Coastwatcher, email sent.
Don
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Molokai to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have Mar-Sep 1934, Mar-Sep 1935 and Sep 1935-Mar 1936 in three private bound volumes. I had an opportunity to get nine more volumes but mix-up with the seller. Also, box of loose issues...somewhere.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2023 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   9:40 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i own a full run of 'Stamps' from 1932 to mid 1940's. I bought them dirt cheap.

Anyone know if these are on line someplace? I'd love to part with all these...
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   10:25 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962,
It appears that 'Stamps' magazine (different from 'Stamp' magazine) is still in business, and it may be that they own the copyright on the Stamps back issues. I am not aware of Stamps back issues being widely available online.
I'd be willing to invest some time on more discovery and possibly even 'testing the waters' with digitizing some of these and getting them online for everyone. But of course, if someone steps forward with a copyright claim they would have to be taken down. How much are you looking to get out of them?
Don
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   10:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coastwatcher and Molokai,
Thank you for letting me know what you have. The bound volumes of the Gossip magazine are very 'tight'; in other words the binding is done in a way which puts and edges of the pages very close to the binding margin.

I have (had) a book scanner and software which specifically is designed for scanning bound books but I finally wore it out and it is now offline. I have a new one arriving in a week or so. If possible, I would like to talk further with you guys after the holidays about getting some of your bound versions digitized.
Don
Valued Member
United States
322 Posts
Posted 12/11/2021   12:48 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What years was this published altogether?
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/11/2021   04:19 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that The Weekly Philatelic Gossip Magazines started around 1924 and ran up until 1961, Harry Weiss was the editor for many decades.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1688 Posts
Posted 12/11/2021   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Weekly Philatelic Gossip started in 1922.
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   06:58 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Weekly Philatelic Gossip started in 1922.

I am still researching this...
But using the 'Whole Number' (issue number) and running the dates backwards (assumption being that they did their weekly issues each Saturday and did not skip any Whole Numbers) that would put Issue #1 on 11/12/1921. Will update community if this info changes as I get deeper into it.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1688 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not 1922.
For the full history of this title you should check out the Yale University Library Catalog entry:

https://orbis.library.yale.edu/vweb...=ocm49503751
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, I see that they show v.1:no.1 June 1915 and v.1:no.2 July 1915 but the magazine was called something else (not the "Weekly Philatelic Gossip"), was not with the same publisher, and was monthly or twice-a-month. According to the link you supplied, it also says "Consolidated with the Hobby-Rider in Sept. 1920, but in April, 1922, reappeared as a separate publication, continuing its old volume numbering". So it sounds like the 'Weekly Philatelic Gossip", was first published by the Gossip Printery in Holton Kansas in April 1922.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
534 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bit of the early years of the monthly Philatelic Gossip are online at HathiTrust, courtesy of Univ. Illinois Urbana-Champaign. volume 3, vol. 4, and numbers 1-9 of vol. 6.
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102559879

The MARC catalog record linked to the HathiTrust catalog record would imply a change in frequency from monthly to semi-monthly in 1922, and then to weekly in 1923 for volume 8, at which point the title changed to Weekly.

Interesting stuff.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 979Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05