Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Now This Is A 'Real' To Soak Or Not Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 677Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Casey Magoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have discovered in my collection a beautiful vertical strip of three mint 3c Jubilees. I bought about a 10 pound lot over the summer but have not taken a look at everything yet. Anyway, I'm including a poor scan taken through a 102 card. Two of these stamps are fused together, gum to gum. I collect multiple Jubilees, so I have to decide if it goes in the water or if it remains stuck. It has been creased at the perfs for years and I don't really want to end up with three singles.

Send note to Staff
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 12/04/2021 2:53 pm

Valued Member
341 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say fine/xf MNH is off the table

I would not want a bad crease, glued together (that)

If your goal is to preserve the strip, I would carefully soak and press dry.
You could still end up with a nice mint (unused) / no gum strip of three.
Pat
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by patg23 - 12/04/2021 5:31 pm
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 12/04/2021   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will probably end up soaking them. I know these are common, but multiples not so much.
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
Canada
35 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You might try using a sweat box. I've never done it myself, but sweating a stamp might leave the gum more intact. There's probably instructions here on SCF or elsewhere about how to build/use a simple sweat box out of Tupperware and a damp sponge, or similar household materials. Research it and see if it sounds like feasible option.
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have a humidifier that blows cold steam. I should practice on some others that I have stuck together. I can afford to experiment a little with junk first.
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 12/28/2021   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Soaking them in water right now because I'm a little bored. Will show the final result when dry...the two stuck back to back are a little stubborn too.

Lift and separate ladies..
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 12/28/2021 10:19 am
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 12/28/2021   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rainingstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have encountered similar problems today. Waiting to see how your soaking turns out. Thanks!
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 12/28/2021   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give it a peek in the morning. It's currently in a drying book under a 20lb dumbbell. Hope I got all the gum off and it will drop right out....
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 12/28/2021   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a 1c strip for anyone else who likes Jubilee multiples.

and a soft pillow
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 12/29/2021   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Turned out just fine. Vivid colour but a crease in top one. Backs look fine, perfs held on...
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 12/29/2021 09:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
780 Posts
Posted 12/29/2021   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is considered more valuable: One mint gummed and gumless mint duo, or gumless mint threesome?
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
Posted 12/29/2021   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are only 3c stamps. If they were three dollar that could make a huge difference. I have plenty other mint stamps from this issue. Having all three still connected was my ultimate goal. I also have a block of four mint of the 3c, 2c and 8c.
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 12/29/2021 12:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6117 Posts
Posted 12/29/2021   12:36 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cerise a-go-go! They look great - well done.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 677Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05