Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia 163, Acsc 175e, "Tail Flaw"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 221Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3801 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I really like this issue, and have posted bits and pieces in other threads. However, since I picked up a nice second copy, I'd thought I'd post and get some comments.

In 1937, Australia issued a set of stamps commemorating the 150th anniversary of the European Settlement in New South Wales. The three identical stamps showed Governor Phillip and his officers, mostly standing around, looking nice, and pointing. The 2d variety is ACSC 175, and a normal stamp is shown below:

The pointing man is shown here:

Note the difference with this closeup and entire of the variety known as "Man with Tail" variety, ACSC 175e (in my catalog). You should be able to see the tail quite easily:

A "retouch" was made to the plate to fix this "tail flaw". ACSC lists this as 175ea, and I found a version a few years ago, and just now found a second copy in an APS Circuit Book. Here is the older version:

It's a little difficult to see in this copy due to the cancel, but the big "smudge" is the best indicator. There is also a small horizontal line in that general area.

Here is the latest one just picked up. You can see the smudge, horizontal line, and just a small bit of the tail at the very top:

So now, I am missing a version of this stamp which is ACSC 175h, "Colour flaw adjoining tree above officer at right". I could be convinced in letting go of one of my copies of 175ea should someone contact me concerning 175h. Just saying ...
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1527 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime

Nice collection of the 1937 quincentenary flaws. The hardest to locate is the retouch, as to date I still cannot find one in MUH condition, even in used condition it is not that easy to locate, in many instances, the cancellation permanently covers the retouch.

The flaws are found on the lower left side of the sheet, part of what unloaded shows a block of 20 from the lower part of the sheet. The "man with tail" is the top left stamp and the "Pantaloon" and "koala in tree" are found beside each other at the bottom, the "Pantaloon" second from the left, and the "koala in tree" is third from the left.

ACSC 175h, "Colour flaw adjoining tree above officer at right" ("koala in tree") is the scarcest of the three.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Rob041256 - 12/06/2021 05:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3801 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful piece, Rob. That Koala is the one I'm looking for. I'll find it someday.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1527 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Partime

Hopefully one will find its way into your path. I know of a woman who sent me scans of 2 "koala in tree" varieties sometime in mid 2020, she lives in a literal two horse town in the Qld outback who found two used "koalas" in her small collection of KGVI stamps.

Rob
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 12/19/2021   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moldman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is my copy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3801 Posts
Posted 12/19/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like that. A very light cancel? Thanks for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1527 Posts
Posted 12/19/2021   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi moldman

Very nice light cancel to highlight the variety.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05