Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Italian Singer Sewing Machine Ad Stamp- Anyone Got A Sheet With Them For Show And Tell?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 375Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently got this really sweet cover from my dealer:

I was particularly intrigued by the fact that the Singer ad was imperf with the actual stamp and it made me wonder what the whole sheet might look like? I'd love to see how they placed these, like can you find a pair where the ad is on top, to the side, and whatnot.

Anyone got anything?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
2074 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

(not mine)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by vayolene - 12/06/2021 1:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vayolene, I saw the split second of the post you had before this one with the other ad sheet— please post it again! It was really beautiful! Also this is great, my goal one day must be to acquire an imperf between both ads and the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
France
2074 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is,with Columbia instead of Singer.

(not mine either)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sc#221 50c Singer.
Bib: Stamp Oddities, Monty Wedd Australia.
Pillar Of The Community
France
2074 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the complete set of 21 stamps,according to Sassone catalogue.
Singer is # 16 and Columbia (20ct) is # 20

(not mine either!)
Edited by vayolene - 12/07/2021 01:34 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice vayolene. Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, I like these advertising labels, two of the products advertised, Campari and Perugina chocolates, I'm familiar with, a Campari and soda is my drink of choice when dining in Italian restaurants, and I love chocolate and have had Baci often, and on a trip to Italy a few years ago I drove past the factory in the city of Perugia. Incidentally, Baci is Italian for kisses, I wonder which came first, Perugina Baci, or Hershey's kisses
Other countries that have issued advertising labels attached to regular postage stamps include Great Britain, France and Denmark. I collect the Danish ones, I only have a few, some of them are quite expensive. Beginning in September 1927, Denmark printed the labels alongside definitive stamps in their booklet panes, usually two labels and four stamps per pane. Some of the products advertised included Galle and Jessen chocolates (chocolate again!), a daily newspaper, the Berlingske Tidende, a magazine called the Familie Journal, the Copenhagen Coal and Coke Company, Mohawk Tires, and the entire range of General Motors cars and trucks, including several makes no longer made: Oakland (the forerunner of Pontiac) Pontiac itself, La Salle and Oldsmobile. Scott does not list these, but the Danish AFA catalogue lists 64 different combinations of stamp and label.
Edited by waddsbadds - 12/07/2021 3:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
684 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Somewhere around here I have a stockbook filled with the New Zealand issues that had advertising on the back.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Also, consider advertising on the Fascist Italian Issues.
Guns and ships and Fasces.

NZ
Author : SCF revenuecollector
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2632 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   01:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To see one on cover is a treat but to also have all of them in color on one page. Wow.

Several of the Italian ones are pretty pricey, too. I have to wonder if the companies advertising themselves wouldn't have used them on their own mail(?)
Valued Member
Malta
132 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   05:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfpenny Yellow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Were these sold over the counter at POs, or were they intended for use by the companies themselves - sort of like an early form of personalised stamps?

I suspect that the former is the case since otherwise I don't think they would be listed in most major catalogues. If any member knows their backstory it would be interesting to hear it.
Pillar Of The Community
France
2074 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   05:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Their backstory (in italian) is here :
https://www.academia.edu/42042842/I...atelia_38_41
(page 392)

And some information here : http://www.italianstamps.co.uk/king...b/index.html
Edited by vayolene - 12/08/2021 05:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1073 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sassone specialized doesn't give any background, what vayolene has linked to is the most detailed explanation I've seen.

Lovely designs on this set, but not cheap to put together complete. Sassone CV is 18,000 Euros mint hinged, used 8500. Two of them were never issued apparently.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1073 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And just ran across the set used (plus the 2 non-issued ones), in an upcoming auction from Filatelia Fischer (new on SAN).

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 375Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05