Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Disappointment Of Undisclosed Damage

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 855Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pcerio to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Working on the Revenue Reds as they turn up and this one finishes a page and a series. The hinge repair was not disclosed and this is basically a space filler, which I do not buy. Fortunately, the seller is doing the right thing. The search continues!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
643 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   3:39 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is egregious that it wasn't disclosed or scanned. What did the description say?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The image was poor so some of it is my fault for not asking enough questions. The description said cut cancelled which it is. Giving the benefit of the doubt to the seller, they said it was a recent dealer inventory acquisition and they hadn't gone through each item carefully. I'm more disappointed that the last stamp I need to complete the page isn't worthy of the space.
Edited by pcerio - 12/07/2021 3:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   3:44 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was an accurate description.
Don
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not 100% accurate. Cut cancelled, torn and repaired would be an accurate description.
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   3:50 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...The description said cut cancelled which it is...

Sounds accurate to me, but the image posted is very small. Hinged cut cancels are fairly common (to reenforce the weak areas). What is the eBay item number?
Don
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But it doesn't mention one of the cuts results in a tear that had to be hinge repaired. Cut cancelled and reinforces is one thing. Torn and repaired is another.
Edited by pcerio - 12/07/2021 4:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure why I can't get the image with the tear circled to upload, but I've tried several times and it won't. The top cut on the right extends into a tear and it can be seen under the hinge.
Edited by pcerio - 12/07/2021 4:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   4:09 pm  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If a cut cancel requires hinge reinforcement to keep it together, it needs to be disclosed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6766 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is most likely that the seller either doesn't care about accurately describing his/her material…or, it's downhill from there.

I always pass items by if there is not a clear image presented.
Pillar Of The Community
4104 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the theme of full disclosure, may we have a scan of the front side? Thank you.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It happens regularly on Philatelic forums.
We are asked to make opinions, on poorly offered images.

Quote:
I always pass items by if there is not a clear image presented.

Likewise,
unless the price affords a contemplated good risk.

The "cut cancellation" is curious, does not look like a knife,
looks like tiny needle holes.

Edited by rod222 - 12/07/2021 5:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7680 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, cut cancels often end in tears on high value reds & greens. It should have been disclosed, but it is not all that much of a surprise.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2632 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp also has a short perf and a pulled corner at top. Your mileage may vary, but that's a space filler to me.

I agree with bookbndrbob. The OP wrote "...some of it is my fault for not asking enough questions" I feel it should not have even come to that; a poor image demonstrates sloppiness overall or even an attempt to deceive.
Learn More...
United States
10113 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   5:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
pcerio
Would like to see the listing, can you share the link or item number?
Don
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ericjackson If a cut cancel requires hinge reinforcement to keep it together, it needs to be disclosed.

I appreciate Eric's expert opinion on this subject. By the way, Eric provided the $10,000 stamp in this series that is also cut cancelled but needed no repair or reinforcement. If only Eric had this one, this thread would not exist. I am very discriminating in what makes it into my album. I don't buy junk, so I couldn't say one way or another if cut cancels often end in tears. Based on what I have reviewed and added to my collection, they do not.
Edited by pcerio - 12/07/2021 5:46 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 855Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05