Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Small Queen 5c Grey Perforation Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 254Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1231 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gmot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have this 5c grey small queen mint hinged strip of 3. Recently noticed the large difference in width between the first and second stamps, caused mostly by the 2nd middle vertical perforation line being offset to the right significantly.

I'm not very familiar with perforating tech from that period - question for those more knowledgeable - is this typical of small queen issues? I would expect to see some variation but these seems unusual.

Send note to Staff
Edited by gmot - 12/07/2021 4:52 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2853 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is absolutely typical and normal. Perforation machinery then was not the near-perfect thing that it is today. Not only do we get the wide range of centering in the same sheet/pane, but jumbo margin examples and stamps cut into on more than one side. I suspect extreme examples of the latter would either not pass inspection or were mostly culled by collectors and dealers long ago.

Someone else might post and tell us what the exact method was for this Small Queen. Canada was already using a hand-fed perforator with the pins on wheels for the 1859 issue (says Winthrop Boggs). So, two passes through did one sheet/pane. But as we see for the later US Washington-Franklins perfed this way, there could be quite some variability in overall stamp size. I again suspect that the wheels could slip on the rod they were mounted on over time and production demands would allow stamps not perfed with even margins all around to pass muster.

Another method that would cause this was a machine that perfed line by line, sometimes in an L pattern. The puncher or paper was advanced for each line of perfs by gearing. Either the perforator or paper could slip.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/07/2021 5:01 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35545 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are line perforate, hence the irregularity,
The sheet has to be rotated, accuracy depends on the person driving the machine.

In comb perforate, the sheet advances in 1 straight line,
and both horizontal and vertical sides, are punctured in one
action of the die. (3 sides)

In a "Harrow Perf" 4 sides are punctured by the die
seen in multiple stamp souvenir sheets.
All stamps are generally punctured in 1 strike of the die.

That said, your example is pronounced.

Nice stamps, albeit the right hand stamp is hanging on by only 7 teeth
Edited by rod222 - 12/07/2021 5:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1231 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both, very helpful. If I'm reading the Walsh BNA catalogue correctly (with great sections on perforation written by jogil I believe), then the small queens were line perforated using rotary perforating wheels. Something to educate myself more on for sure.

And yes, the right hand stamp is being assisted to stay as part of the strip by a hinge.
Edited by gmot - 12/07/2021 6:42 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 254Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05