Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

America Uber Bremen Franco? Huh?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 242Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this cover in a dollar box because the "America Uber Bremen Franco" intrigued me. I showed it to a dealer friend and he said oh must've been on the Bremen--but that ship that I believe he was referring to didn't come into being until the 1920s. What does this handstamp mean and is this cover, in your educated opinions, worth a buck? Also, what are the back handstamps with the numbers? Receiving marks for Berlin or Hamburg or Bremen or something of the like? I see it in some auction results but what bothers me is they never tell what it means! I don't care what a similar one sold for, I'd like to know WHY it sold for that and what a collector looks for. Teach me more niche stuff c'mon

Send note to Staff
Edited by oldboldandbrash - 12/08/2021 12:08 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2637 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely worth a buck.

"Bremen" here is the city in Germany. The handstamp shows the routing with Bremen as the transit point. FRANCO indicates that the the cover was prepaid, as does the New York PAID ALL marking. Note the cover is endorsed "Via Hamburg or Bremen". You could choose the routing well before this time, perhaps to catch the earliest ship if you knew that from newspaper reports.

Assuming the docketing at right refers to the original letter enclosed (see sender's note at left), then this is a cover from 1868. This makes it one handled by the newly created Northern German Confederation's postal union that pretty much consolidated all the different states' rates together into one bag (with 2 different currencies, though).

The backstamps are from Berlin, dated 23 January. Good service!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for such a thorough and enlightening answer! Cheers to you
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3123 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   04:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
James van der Linden's book Catalogue des Marques des Passages lists this AMERICA ÜBER BREMEN FRANCO mark as known from 1854 in red.

It was applied in Bremen to mail received from the US and my guess is that this is from an earlier date than the manuscript one at the right at a time when Bremen was still an independent state.

There were quite a few AMERICA ÜBER BREMEN and AMERIKA ÜBER BREMEN marks in use at different times and the ones from the 1860s had the AMERIKA spelling and the text in a double circle, although I guess this could have been an old handstamp that was still in use.

Edit: Corrected spelling of AMERICA - Thanks oldboldandbrash
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 12/08/2021 5:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"America" or "Amerika"?
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
carried on NGL Line America from New York to Bremen, blue "America, über Bremen, Franco" three-line transit handstamp

https://www.rumseyauctions.com/auctions/lot/75/508
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 242Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05