Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Die Cut Missing Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 603Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 12/09/2021   4:46 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We've all seen them, and I illustrate a se tenant block of four of the US 2016 Jack o' Lantern issues missing their horizontal die cuts. Since we're not dealing with pins here like with the classic types of perforations, could someone be so kind as to explain to me what went wrong in the process that resulted in the lack of die cuts?

Send note to Staff
Edited by docgfd - 12/09/2021 4:47 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3088 Posts
Posted 12/09/2021   7:42 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be properly die cut and taken from two panes that were not properly sliced apart. The top stamps you picture are supposed tp be on the bottom and the bottom stamps you picture are supposed tp be on the top. My first guess was it was a situation where the slicing was off by one row, but in thy case I would expect either the top and/or the bottom row of die cut perf to be sliced thru, which clearly isn't the case. My second guess is it came from a press sheet (which would allow one to create something like this will full perfs at top and bottom, but this one isn't listed as being sold that way. So my final guesses are either created from printer's waste or the image is a fake.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 12/09/2021   8:24 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your last guess is out since I own the block in question and the image is a scan. That aside, I'm more interested in what can go wrong during this or any die-cutting process that causes the die cutting not to take and be omitted ie the mechanics of the failure.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
646 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are those diagonal lines creases on the stamps (top right, bottom left)? Could be related to a machine jam/paper foldover as well. If the paper was creased in a way that altered the die cutter in a way where it didn't make contact w the stamp paper then it could happen.

Doubt it's printers waste, as this was probably bought legit and waste tends to go out the backdoor.

Edited by rismoney - 12/10/2021 09:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8170 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The diagonal lines look like they come from photo corners, used to mount the stamps.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   6:26 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are indeed photo mounting corners.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9036 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doc - My belief is that your stamps may have been put through a coil cutting machine by mistake. Problem is that the rolls are gigantic and it would be a really difficult mistake to get through QA/QC. Unless these were flat cut which seems unlikely. I searched high and low for how these particular stamps were die cut with no luck. Interesting question for sure.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
646 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodgcam I think I agree with you. I didnt realize they were issued as booklet. How this wasn't caught if it used the wrong machine, could imply waste... It might be worth a cert, because you could get a catalog listing if it goes in your favor.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3088 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   9:28 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
doc - good to hear you confirm it is a real item.

As for "what can go wrong during this or any die-cutting process that causes the die cutting not to take and be omitted ie the mechanics of the failure" the die cutting is not missing - look at a normal booklet pane and see that where the die cutting on your is "missing" is where 2 panes are normally slit apart and there is naturally not die cutting there since it is supposed to be slit apart there.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9036 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is actually a pretty neat error.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
646 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Intriguing eyeonwall. The booklet is two stamps tall and contains twenty. I get what you are saying as there is no top perf or bottom perf normally, but how would a booklet, have been cut across from two panes off by exactly a stamp? I would think there would then be leftover of the pane and production would have caught an odd count.

Not to pry, but do you know if the rest of the booklet was like this?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9036 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3088 Posts
Posted 12/11/2021   7:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"how would a booklet, have been cut across from two panes off by exactly a stamp?"

It has happened a number of times, both on die cut booklets and on perfed booklets. I can only guess there is someting in the registration markings that causes the equipment to synch up one row off.

The bigger question is why are either the top and/or bottom rows of die cuts not sliced in half - to have full teeth on both the top and bottom means the pane yors came from was extra tall.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 12/13/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the input.
Good article, rog...thanks for sniffing it out and posting it !
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 603Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05