Some weeks ago I purchased a group of three Irish stamps from edw1949sell for about US$60 plus postage.
I vacillated for a few days as this was really stretching my budget as it was much more than I am normally able to spend on stamps. However, in the end, I decided to buy the three stamps as I really needed two of them to complete sets and the asking price was fairly reasonable for the specific stamps.
The third stamp was a postage due listed as an inverted watermark, which, once the stamps arrived, I was disappointed to find was actually a regular inexpensive stamp.
Presuming that it was likely an honest mistake I contacted the seller pointing out his error and included an image of the actual stamp showing the watermark along with a page from the Hibernian catalogue.
(I have no idea why the back of the stamp is marked $275 in pencil, the cat value is considerably less)
A week later, not yet having received any response from the seller I contacted him again, this time including a scan of the watermark from the Stanley Gibbons catalogue.
Another week later, after having first confirmed that the seller had listed a number of new items in the interim, so he was active on eBay
, I filed a request for a refund. In the request, I specifically mentioned that I would like a refund for a 1/3rd of the purchase price and that I would return the misidentified stamp.
Today, I receive a full refund from eBay
as there had been no response from the seller.My quandary:
I had hoped that the seller would have responded and refunded a third of the purchase price. I would have then returned the misdescribed stamp and was planning on leaving negative feedback.
Instead, I received a full refund for all three stamps, but I have no intention of returning two of the stamps as I went to considerable effort to try and have the seller deal with the situation.
However, I also don't feel comfortable with screwing the seller out of them. On the one hand, I think that I should make the effort to pay for the stamps, on the other hand, I think that I should wait for the seller to contact me if he wants his money.
My other dilemma is whether to leave negative feedback. Somehow it doesn't seem right to me to leave negative feedback for something I have received but have not paid for.
What do others think?