Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What The Heck Is It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 390Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
10446 Posts
Posted 12/14/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This image was passes out yesterday in the Philatelic Librarians group I belong to, so I thought I would pass it on here with the question…what the heck is it and how was it used?

The question was answered in the Librarians group but I'll hold off with posting it. First person with the correct answer (and who is not in the Librarians group) will win a set (3 Pairs) of these Staehle HPO Covers
Prize for first correct answer

Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
860 Posts
Posted 12/14/2021   3:16 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I can think of is that this is a "holder" for a canceller "month" "date" and "time" slugs that are used to cancel the stamps. That is what I think the holes would be for - to hold the slugs for each. Other than that, I have no clue!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10446 Posts
Posted 12/14/2021   3:39 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Close enough, Dave wins.
It is an International Postal Supply "Flier" canceling machine type holder. The slots hold the pieces of steel type for hours, dates, months, and years. The center hold is for a screw which secures the type holder within a slide-out tray under the canceling machine. This round type holder is secured in the swing-out tray shown in the image below.
Many thanks to Frank R. Scheer, Curator Railway Mail Service Library

Don
Pillar Of The Community
4302 Posts
Posted 12/14/2021   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a similar one for a different make/model machine with different bases to each slug.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1171 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's really cool!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 390Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05