Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Missing Sg Numbers In Sg Concise Catalogue 2021

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 299Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
50 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Nuc5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have ben collecting Great Britain Machin definitive stamps and have created a basic spreadsheet for keeping track/recording the stamps I have and subsequently the stamps I require to complete the set.
currently this is intended to be a basic one stamp of each denomination/colour variant not venturing into the various nuances of each stamp ie type, source etc.

However while collating a comprehensive list of machins using the latest SG concise catalogue I could not find any stamps allocated with the following SG numbers:

X923 and X995

would be interested to find out if anyone knows why there are no entries or could advise the stamps with those numbers.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3370 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are not assigned in my 2018. Both numbers seem to be at the end up groupings in Concise. For example, X924 is the start of the Harrison Photo Phosphor group where all issues are tagged.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Edited by angore - 12/15/2021 07:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1475 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please read the comment about X-numbers that is likely to appear at the start of the listing. These X-numbers to avoid having to renumber all catalogue listings when new values appear. SG lists by set and not in order of issue date.

In the 1989 Concise X923 was the 8 1/2p yellowish green issued 24-3-1976. X995 did not exist at the time. By 1992, they re-arranged the listingThey left a few gaps for possible new denominations to be issued and X923 became one such gap. X995 appears never to have been used. X923 was never re-assigned.

I do not have your edition, but my guess is X995 would be at the end of a sub-listing.
Edited by NSK - 12/15/2021 07:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
4297 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collectors demand rapid assigning of catalog numbers (You see threads here about "What is the # for the stamp issued last month?) Conversely, postal administrations issue definitive series over a span of many years. The clash of the two will result in unassigned catalog number gaps or substantial renumberings. Take your pick.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3370 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In SG's case, they tried to group issues mostly by common attributes (printer or print method) and in denomination order. Given the long span, this resulted in many issues with some renumbering to try to maintain their idea of order.

They were initially in the main section (just like Scott) so their move to a separate Machin section left unassigned there. Yet, there still some Machins not following the X,Y, U scheme such as 1668 to name a number.
Al
Edited by angore - 12/15/2021 10:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1475 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Gold Machin was intended to celebrate the golden wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip. It was intended to remain in use for a year and then be withdrawn. As such, it was not intended as a definitive stamp as were the Machins. It was brought back for the Golden Jubilee of the accession in 2002 and has become a definitive.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 299Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05