Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Collect Postal Service Memorabilia?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 826Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
3 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add VanishingCave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, everyone. I have been a reader here for a little while, but this is my first post on the forums. I hope it is in the correct category.

I addition to stamps, I've lately become interested in collecting other postal service related ephemera and memorabilia. For example, I came across this vintage uniform patch for a US Post Office Department postal clerk in a thrift store today. I'd never seen something like it before and thought it would make a great supplement to my collection.

Does anyone else collect similar memorabilia from their postal services? Patches, uniforms, etc? I'd love to see it!
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely piece!
Reminds me of having Mum sew on a new Scout badge,
and the stiff feeling on the shirt sleeve.

Conundrum.."Collect" of "Don't throw away"

I am in the latter, I have Aussie, window Posters, Key rings etc & etc
all under "Ephemera"
1 image scan, then into a shoe box in the attic.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
491 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had the chance to buy mail delivery bags on different occasions. I never have because I probably wouldn't look at them too often. Hand cancels can be fun to collect if you can find them.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
108 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the legal status of selling/owning official USPS gear such as mail delivery bags? Searching the bay, I see only a couple of such bags for sale. They look they would be nice practical bag to use (especially when schlepping loads of mail from the PO Box to home)--I also wonder who makes them.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanishingCave to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Reminds me of having Mum sew on a new Scout badge

Yes! I was in Boy Scouts when I was young, and for me the patches and badges were the best part of the whole experience. I still collect patches from places I visit. I sew most of them onto a denim jacket or onto hats. This new patch was a fun intersection between two of my interests.

Quote:
What is the legal status of selling/owning official USPS gear such as mail delivery bags?

I'm not sure about this. I know the large plastic mail bins the USPS uses to store held mail are very clearly marked "Property of USPS." Those have a tendency to wander off when people pick up large quantities of mail being held at the post office. (I know my parents have a couple lying around their house--they're great storage totes!) Maybe it's not illegal to have them in your possession, but you might get in trouble for trying to sell them.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6452 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   02:03 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose that the most widely acquired piece of post office kit is the telephone kiosk. After management of the telephone system was removed from the post office in the 1980s, the new British Telecom entity removed and sold off thousands of them.

https://business.bt.com/insights/ip...phone-boxes/
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still use the Tardis,
(I repainted it red)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8286 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
4346 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very pricey!

Here is a small tray I prepared to loan to a local museum:

Readily available on eBay, and not costly if one is patient and shops around.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1226 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My grandfather was a postal inspector (mostly investigating fraud of various kinds) in the Midwest from the 40s to early 70s, always wished we had some of his memorabilia. He was not the stamp collecting grandfather from whom I inherited much of my initial collection - guess he had his fill of stamps during his day job, and focused his collecting efforts on records and books.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eagle79 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw a collection of 10 early 20th century Postal Inspector Badges in the early 1990s that a dealer bought from a collector that also collected law enforcement badges as well as stamps. They were in leather wallets with ID cards for an inspector from Brooklyn. Unfortunately no pics as they were sold as a lot quickly afterward in a private deal.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
511 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These Postal Inspector credentials show up regularly on eBay. Here is a recent group which is by far the longest and most most complete run of these I have ever encountered.

Postal Inspector Credentials

I realize this link is only going to be good for a few months.

There are 35 five credentials, too many to download and post here, but I have included one to illustrate what they look like. This series goes up to 1955 (!!!) with only one credential missing. The only significant different in each is the signature of the Postmaster General changes as new men are appointed to the office.

Outside

Inside

Virtually all of these were purchased by one of three collectors who bid and competed on all of them.

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 12/16/2021 2:27 pm
United States
3 Posts
Posted 12/16/2021   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VanishingCave to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are all great! Thank you for sharing your stories and images so far!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 12/17/2021   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes! I was in Boy Scouts when I was young, and for me the patches and badges were the best part of the whole experience.

Several years ago, there was a very interesting exhibit in the youth section at WESTPEX on the history of the Stamp Collecting merit badge, showing how the requirements got easier and easier over time.

Stamp Collecting was the first merit badge I earned as a Boy Scout back in the 1980s. I had fulfilled practically all the requirements before I even started.
Valued Member
United States
20 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rainingstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful patch! Congratulations! I do not collect postal service items, but I have some advertisements that came with a collection I acquired. You can see an image of one of the ads in one of my earlier posts. I was advised to keep it because someone might want it. Hoping you're that someone, because I need the space!
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LadyGrace to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested in collecting postal service items but the closest thing I have is a little toy mail truck.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 826Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05