Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia 49, Acsc 21 Flaw?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 427Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3926 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Very confused about this one. It is the third watermark, making it Scott 49, ACSC 21. However, there are flaws throughout that are not completely listed in my copy of ACSC.

From a distant view, nothing special about this stamp.

The top has several flaws, including a break in the outer line, above the T in Australia. Plus a bump above the R, and a further odd right, top corner.

I've drawn a straight line at the bottom which seems to indicate a curvy bottom frame line. Per ACSC, this may be ACSC 21(3)j

Note that there may also be a line on Roo's back. Any thoughts on this one?
Send note to Staff
Edited by Partime - 12/15/2021 9:26 pm

Valued Member
Australia
150 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like 3R60 Distorted bottom frame. Listed as 21(3)j

I do not have a copy to compare. Please check watermark for corner marginal lines.

Regards
Frank
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by langtounlad - 12/15/2021 9:50 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are we able to read the date at all?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3926 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be marginal line on left when viewed from the back. I didn't check the cancel with Retro Reveal yet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3926 Posts
Posted 12/15/2021   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But why isn't all that top line stuff listed in ACSC?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3926 Posts
Posted 12/17/2021   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Date is probably August 1926. Probably Western Australia. Scan below, along with back scan showing marginal line.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 12/17/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve,
Mostly "self interest " here, I am trying to understand Mr.Kello's
studies.
It is, in the most part, mystifying to me.
Plates, Cliches, usage dates etc.

So 1926 would be a very late usage.
I'll post some snippets, when time permits.

Nice marginal line, looks like a successful ID

PS as an aside, your top frame damage, is also evident on some Penny Red roos, not exactly in that spot however.

Edited by rod222 - 12/17/2021 12:29 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 12/17/2021   02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But why isn't all that top line stuff listed in ACSC?

Guessing / suggestion.
if the electrotypes were made in groups of 4
then the adjacent stamps would offer the same damage ?
These have yet to be located?
(I do not have the latest Catalogue)
Ergo, you would be looking for 3R53, 3R54,3R59.
Any of those identified in your catalogue?

120 on, yours is upper Pane, last on row 10 RHS.
Edited by rod222 - 12/17/2021 02:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3892 Posts
Posted 12/17/2021   03:25 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice thread.

Must admit it took me a long time but I found the marginal line.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 12/17/2021   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Re Brusden White
Are we working from the Single Master Die theory?
Valued Member
Australia
150 Posts
Posted 12/17/2021   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add langtounlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime

On Page 39 of Flaws on Australian Kangaroos at Stampboards you will find one I identified there in 2009 for comparison with your copy. Looks same as yours.

Regards
Frank
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3926 Posts
Posted 12/18/2021   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank, thanks for that suggestion. I checked and it is a match. I did notice that there is also a light scratch in Roo's back which seems common in all of the examples I've seen of the distorted bottom frame. Here's a closer scan of the scratch, and a better scan of the back to see the marginal line.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 427Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05