Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Germany Postmarks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 426Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
42 Posts
Posted 12/18/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add tohill2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a bunch of German stamps that are giving me fits. Here's one from someplace "...NLIMBURG" I realize there are several Limburgs, but can find no place which has something in front of the letters "LIMBURG".

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what postal location this would be?

Thanks in advance!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
740 Posts
Posted 12/18/2021   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly Hohenlimburg.

Seems to fit nicely.

Good luck.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Romania
480 Posts
Posted 12/19/2021   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can identify the postmarks on the website "philastempel.de"
In the "orstname" window you can also enter a partial name, but you have to search through hundreds of stamps that have a letter group in their name.
I found it with "nlimburg":

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all. Wondering if anyone could help with this postmark on a 10 Pfennige Stamp. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2544 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

In use from approximately 1874 to 1880.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Thank you Postmaster. You truly are a master. Now I can read about it. Nora.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35181 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love it when I see a stamp held by tongs like that
So professional.
A great image!

I think it worth repeating a fabulous resource of German States Numerals. by "Greaden"

http://goscf.com/t/73713 br /
Edited by rod222 - 01/18/2022 12:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod :) I knew you would be proud ha - jk. Thanks for re-sharing the link (wow that is some list) - I know I always find interesting postmarks on my German stamps but I could not remember where I had posted previously. Very helpful.

Gracias.
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/18/2022 12:16 am
Valued Member
297 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mrita75,

Your Mi.Nr.33 has The Plate Flaw 33 A5-1, Top open.

Hornet
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi hornet! Oh wow. Very interesting. What is the best place for me learn about this plate flaw? Any guides or maybe a search on the forum? Thank you for pointing that out so I can note it in my album.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2544 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the catalog listing for that plate flaw. From the ArGe Krone/Adler's Freimarkenausgabe PFENNIGE Deutsches Reich 1875 Herstellung und Plattenfehler.

The text roughly translates as "upper center point open; this error comes in different types with different minor errors."
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both so much. Postmaster that is excellent. It is interesting about my German stamps. When I started collecting about 2 years ago, I would buy a lot of cheap World Wide Lots - 1100 stamps at a time. That helped me learn, I love sorting and it also helped me build something up, help me decide where to focus. I decided pretty quickly to focus on Mexico, France, GB and recently I started some Sweden pages.

In order to fuel my new stamp passion, I decided to try selling some of my German stamps - I had so many (for a novice) - I sold a few lots/stamps. Now in order for me to sell those stamps I had to study them and be as precise as possible in my listing. Through that process I have learned a lot since Germany is so complex. So where am I now, ha - I've started building my own Germany album pages. I just couldn't help myself. Maybe I'll look to sell my MNH China stamps.

Thank you - I will note this in my Album.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2544 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you need any help with Germany, don't hesitate to let me know. You can also find a lot of info on my website, as well as free Germany album pages.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35181 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up Hornet

Illustrates my opinion that good Catalogues drive Philately.
Postmaster's ID, makes it that more enjoyable.

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05