Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australia Postage Due Id's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 642Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 12/19/2021   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I suggest the 1d is Scott J65 (ACSC D123) and the 2d is J66 (ACSC D124). I am most interested in the cancellation of the 1d block, and the value plate variety of the 2d, as this is not listed in ACSC.

Here is the 1d block. A slightly better view of the cancellation appears to say, "Telegraph Office Geelovo, VIC, 23 AU 3P". Did I get that right?

The 2d single has an interesting mark above the 2 that I would like to identify.

Thanks for your help.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
New Zealand
126 Posts
Posted 12/19/2021   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tasnaki to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cancellation is Geelong Victoria.

Tasnaki
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 12/19/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for looking.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
808 Posts
Posted 12/20/2021   05:46 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1d block cancellation is 'TELEGRAPH OFFICE GEELONG' August 38 (or 39). That cancel is 3R rated on Watson, Webster and Wood.

Geelong is my home town.

The 2d is a nice flaw. I haven't done too much work on the 2d in that series but I can't see the flaw in any of the earlier series. It is not described in Hyeronimus.
Edited by 64idgaf - 12/20/2021 05:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 12/20/2021   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice detective work! Hopefully a match to the 2d flaw will come out.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
553 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 5s Postage Due value tablet flaw?

Damaged lower left corner resulting in missing outer frame line.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 08/01/2022   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is very nice, but I do not see that Value Plate flaw listed in my ACSC. Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge will chime in.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
808 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   07:25 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The flaw is positioned as A7. The sheet of 120 stamps was printed in two stages. There were two green frame plates. Some values were printed only on the first frame plate, some only the second, some on both.

The value, or duty plate was comprised of six blocks (A to F) of 20 and were not always in the same place in relation to one another. The printing plate would be broken down and reassembled for each printing. In printings after January, 1922 where the sheets was comprised of two panes of 60 stamps, with a central vertical column and imprint at the bottom, two of the blocks of 20 were split vertically to become four blocks of ten.

The blocks were arranged in four columns of five stamps, so position A7 was the second stamp from the top in the second column from the left.

It is an accepted convention that the eight angles of the value plate are deemed to be A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H, commencing from the angle under the 'ST' of postage and working clockwise around the stamp.

The pictured flaw is described as "1mm break in the outer frame at f and between f and g".

The ACSC is limited in its description of flaws, the best reference is by R P Hyeronimus, "Commonwealth of Australia: The Postage Due Stamps 1902 - 1963". Hawthorn Press, Melbourne, 1980. 159 pages of brilliance. Expect to pay $US40-100 (or $10, eh Steve?).

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
808 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   07:29 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the value plate flaws from my collection.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4083 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The ACSC is limited in its description of flaws, the best reference is by R P Hyeronimus, "Commonwealth of Australia: The Postage Due Stamps 1902 - 1963". Hawthorn Press, Melbourne, 1980. 159 pages of brilliance. Expect to pay $US40-100 (or $10, eh Steve?)

And since I now have a copy of this book (thanks John), I will be moving forward on Postage Dues (next stamp bourse is this weekend. Lots and lots to learn in this area ...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
553 Posts
Posted 08/02/2022   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brilliant information!

Many thanks 64idgaf.

Another reference work is placed on the "must have" list.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 642Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05