Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removing Self Adhesive Stamps From Paper

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,380Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2502 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, maybe, though is that really any more of a danger than collecting them mint?

If by fully removing the adhesive the stamps get so thin and curled that they are not collectible or are just destroyed in the process, you already have trouble.

The best bet still seems to be to collect them on piece, or remove them with lighter fluid leaving both stamp and adhesive intact, then dusting with talcum powder to prevent sticking.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
4308 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have expressed your opinion, I have expressed mine. To elaborate,

I believe the long term stability of the modern self adhesives is suspect and will eventually cause trouble unless full removed. Adding talc to the equation is just adding dusty grit to your albums to slowly abrade, not to mention the pH of talc. I think it is unfortunate that the idea of using talc or similar materials has taken hold with some collectors. I would never want to buy a collection that used it. Just my opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7156 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For stamps I add to my collection, all of the self-adhesive material is removed. My experience is that these adhesives are unstable and will change over time. The longer that stamps are left on the clippings, the less likely that they will be able to be effectively/safely removed.

If the self-adhesive material is left on the stamp, existing evidence seems to indicate that it will eventually migrate into the stamp paper.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 01/24/2022 1:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampboylife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one worked like a charm...spray on the back, wait a few seconds and peel the sticker off :D

Edited by stampboylife - 01/24/2022 2:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampboylife to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry uploaded wrong image above...this is what I meant...

Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DeeBee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish that self-adhesive stamps had never happened. Purely from a soaking fanatic point of view.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lemony smelling stamps? hmmmm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,380Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05