Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Good Is USPS Tracking?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 3,013Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1235 Posts
Posted 12/25/2021   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What good is USPS Tracking if they NEVER update it between Accepted by USPS and Out for Delivery?

In the Month of December I had over a dozen tract items coming to me.
Every one of them are or were LATE. NOT one showed an update in between "Accepted by USPS and Out for Delivery."

This year I've had several tracked items that arrived 2 or more weeks late. One arrived OVER 3 MONTH LATE!

I've had 3 stamp shipments completely disappear.

This year The Christmas Grinch is the UNITED STATES POST OFFICE !!!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS is experiencing staffing shortages, particularly truckers, like everyone else. It sucks.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's entirely their own fault. I applied TWICE for two different jobs at the Post Office and they never even bothered to send my application to the background check people. And no, there wouldn't have been a reason to nix my application. For one of them I even drove like 30 miles to a group interview! Seriously so done with the PO
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What good is USPS Tracking if they NEVER update it between Accepted by USPS and Out for Delivery?

did you look at the detail report on the tracking page:

Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a package destined for Canada sitting idle at Carol Stream for an entire week. They always seem to make it here but it takes a while.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1235 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course I looked at the track pages a zillion times.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1235 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FedEx is just as bad but t least the show where your package is.
I ordered a couple items from AMOS (Scott) Publishing and they shipped by FEDEX.
This is how FEDEX handled th package:

5:40 AM EUGENE, OR
At local FedEx facility
Saturday, November 6, 2021
3:46 PM PORTLAND, OR
Arrived at FedEx location
Thursday, November 4, 2021
10:45 PM SANDPOINT, ID
In transit
8:20 AM MALTA, MT
In transit
Wednesday, November 3, 2021
8:08 PM NEW YORK MILLS, MN
In transit
7:57 AM POTOSI, TOWN OF, WI
In transit
Tuesday, November 2, 2021
7:26 PM CICERO, IL
In transit
3:03 AM CHICAGO, IL
In transit
Monday, November 1, 2021
4:43 AM DESHLER, OH
In transit
Sunday, October 31, 2021
9:27 PM NORTH BALTIMORE, OH
In transit
1:33 AM NORTH BALTIMORE, OH
In transit
Saturday, October 30, 2021
8:48 AM INDEPENDENCE, KY
Departed FedEx location
Wednesday, October 27, 2021
5:42 AM INDEPENDENCE, KY
3:22 AM VANDALIA, OH
Left FedEx origin facility
Tuesday, October 26, 2021
7:34 PM VANDALIA, OH
3:48 PM VANDALIA, OH
Picked up

I'll let you count the number of days.
Edited by Timm - 12/26/2021 1:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then again, my wife got a package just before Christmas, shipped FedEx, that arrived with a shredded plastic bag, stuck inside of a FedEx bag, that had taken a long time to arrive. I have no idea what had happened to it but the contents were long since lost. It doesn't matter if you know where it is if it doesn't arrive safely.

As a counterpoint, when we order something from Amazon and it comes on their trucks, they'll tell you EXACTLY where it is, as in, you can get onto their site and they'll show you where the delivery truck is moment by moment.
Learn More...
United States
10539 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   1:43 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A postal employee told me, not sure if it is true or not but it seems to jibe with what I am seeing, that some discount USPS services are only tracked at the 'start' and 'end' scans. For example, media mail and the eBay service (those starting with the ESUS tracking number).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Luck of the draw, I suppose. I sent out two Christmas parcels from California on Saturday the 18th by USPS Priority Mail, one to New Mexico, the other to Maryland, and both reached their destinations on Tuesday the 21st.

I made two small purchases from U.S. eBay sellers in the past year that never arrived (each under $6, including shipping). I don't know whether to blame the USPS or scummy sellers who never sent them out in the first place.

International mail is another matter entirely. I currently have eBay and Delcampe purchases coming in from Belgium, Germany, and Greece. No telling when they'll show up. I've been waiting a month for one from Greece, but other shipments that I've received from Greece this year have also taken one or two months to get here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1634 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   3:16 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USPS tracking is very important to me regardless of the detail when a buyer tries to claim "Item Not Received" and USPS shows item delivered.
I win that one every time.

Ken
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6460 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   4:27 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We-ell A couple of weeks ago, I bought two books from an eBay seller. Both were to go in one tracked package, which showed as delivered. Unfortunately, the seller hadn't put both of the books in. Sorted it out after a few messages.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just hope my Ukraine package gets out of Ukraine before Putin does something very naughty.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   5:12 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
USPS tracking is very important to me regardless of the detail when a buyer tries to claim "Item Not Received" and USPS shows item delivered.
I win that one every time.

Ken

I agree on that, Ken. What is particularly galling for a buyer (at least for me) is when it says that it was delivered and it was not. Could be that it was delivered to the wrong address, or a host of other reasons... Fortunately, in all my "cases," the parcels usually show up sooner or later. But THAT can lead to quite a bit of anxiety. It does happen, regardless of what the tracking says.

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1399 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   5:50 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
some discount USPS services are only tracked at the 'start' and 'end' scans. For example, media mail and the eBay service (those starting with the ESUS tracking number).

The way the new eBay envelopes work is this: They are not scanned by post office employees. They are scanned only by the automatic sorting machines. So you get more than just accepted and out for delivery, but less than you would get normally on USPS tracking.

It can only be used for packages under $20.

Been working fine for me, but people do complain that the tracking is incomplete and there is no actual delivery scan.

Here's a typical tracking for one:
Nov 26, 2021 6:48am Delivered

Nov 26, 2021 12:22am Out for Delivery
HISTORIC NEW CASTLE, DE 19850

Nov 25, 2021 3:27am Out for Delivery

Nov 23, 2021 1:45pm Destination processing

Nov 22, 2021 10:16pm Origin Processing
WHITE PLAINS, NY 10610

Nov 22, 2021 7:21pm In Transit
WHITE PLAINS, NY 10610

Nov 21, 2021 8:12am Tracking number provided
Edited by rlsny - 12/26/2021 5:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1235 Posts
Posted 12/26/2021   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just because the USPS tracking says delivered doesn't mean it was delivered at the correct address. Just last month I was to receive a tracked movie; I saw the mailman drive off from my mailbox and I checked the mail and there was no movie. I immediately check the tracking number and it said the movie was delivered. I called the local USPS distribution depot and told them what had just happened. 3-1/2 hours the same mailman delivered the movie. Never got to talk to the mailman to ask what happened.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 3,013Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05