Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Good Is USPS Tracking?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 2,549Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   5:26 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm disappointed with the new eBay tracking for postcards and inexpensive items. This is some sort of custom/non-standard tracking they've worked out with USPS. Why I'm disappointed, is that the item ALWAYS registers as "Delivered" well before (a whole day or two) before it ACTUALLY arrives in my mailbox. It cannot be depended on like REAL tracking to indicate that USPS actually thinks they delivered it to your mailbox (very bad for return items or delivery guarantee).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10450 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   5:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much like other 'discount' services (i.e. Media mail), USPS only tracks 'start' and 'end' locations. My experience is that the 'end' location is the regional distribution center and NOT my local post office. As such, it shows 'out for delivery' 2-3 days before the item is actually in my town (especially if it is on the weekend or holiday).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/10/2022   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Occasionaly an eBay purchase will have an eBay tracking number.

eBay Delivery Services tracking #ESUS44444444
Jan 4, 2022
8:48pm
In Transit
Newton Falls, OH 44444
Jan 4, 2022
4:44am
Tracking number provided

Above is an example of the information they initially provide but I have never had one updated with ANY additional information
I click on the Track icon and the information NEVER changes.

What good is it???
Learn More...
United States
10450 Posts
Posted 01/10/2022   3:34 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...What good is it???

It meets the minimum eBay requirements. If folks want end-to-end tracking, then they can pay for one of the more costly shipping methods. Discounted services do not include end-to-end tracking.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it interesting as to how the same tracking number can show different information when accessed through eBay and accessed using the postal carrier's site. I have had a situation where the eBay info shows the item "In Transit" for weeks after shipment, never showing "Delivered" while the postal carrier site shows "Delivered" several weeks earlier.

I currently have a package mailed from Canada to Virginia. The eBay tracking shows the parcel arriving and leaving San Francisco on Jan. 9th, arriving in Anchorage Alaska on Jan. 12th, leaving Alaska on Jan. 13th and arriving in Richmond, VA on Jan 16th. The Canada Post tracking info does not show any of the Alaska detail. So this makes me wonder, did the parcel actually go from Canada to California to Alaska to Virginia, and why such an awkward routing? Also why is there such different information when accessing from different sites?
Learn More...
United States
10450 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   12:37 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the problems with tracking is that it we do not know many of the distribution details. While a tracking report might not seem to make sense geographical, there can be numerous other reasons that parcels get routed that we do not have visibility into (i.e. weather related delays, resource shortages in some centers, other delays on certain routes or with distribution centers).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8175 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i.e. weather related delays, resource shortages in some centers, delays on certain routes or with distribution centers

...train robberies...
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
192 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   2:50 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a shame that the USPS has lost what reputation it once had for being accountable. I have done some mailing using eBays system and the results are satisfactory. They just are so much less that what used to acceptable service.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
690 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   10:07 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed that eBay's tracking is frustrating. I have had to explain to buyers literally dozens of times that the eBay tracking tends to show "delivered" once it has passed through the final distribution center, which is usually a day or two before delivery. Would be nice if eBay would explain this for buyers.

That said, I don't think I've had one go permanently lost and I haven't made any insurance claims on them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3378 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how "delivered" once it has passed through the final distribution center

This is why I think their delivery performance numbers can be misleading. They do not track the time from pick up from mail box to the first scan. For our mail, it would likely be Greensboro and the same applies for inbound. I have seen the inside of our town post office and there is no space for scanning for all the mail. For Informed Delivery, I usually get most of the mail in the email (likely from overnight scans in Greensboro) but sometimes it may be the next day. This delay likely gets missed in their measurement data.

As inaccurate and confusing as it is, it is better information than not that too long ago.
Al
Edited by angore - 01/17/2022 06:39 am
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a disaster. This package was supposed to go from Chicago to Toronto....Expensive stamps inside of course.

UPDATE - now in Canada after 30 days. Done whining...

January 17, 2022, 2:00 am
Departed
SEATTLE, UNITED STATES
Your item departed a transfer airport in METROPOLITAN AREA, SEATTLE, UNITED STATES on January 17, 2022 at 2:00 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
January 5, 2022, 8:59 pm
Departed
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
January 5, 2022, 3:21 pm
Arrived
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
December 29, 2021, 6:11 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
December 29, 2021, 6:11 pm
Arrived at Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
December 28, 2021, 6:28 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
LOS ANGELES, CA 90009
December 18, 2021, 7:19 am
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
CAROL STREAM, IL 60197
Shipping Partner: GlobalPost
December 18, 2021, 7:12 am
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
CAROL STREAM, IL 60199
Shipping Partner: GlobalPost
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/17/2022 3:09 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
192 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   6:07 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being a retired insurance adjuster I am curious as to whether or not anyone has had a claims experience? Who handled it and how did it go?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received a tracked envelopw today and I saw the mailman deliver it at 2:15 pm. The tracking # says it was delivered at 12:20 pm. Wow, it was delivered 2 hours before the mailman got there. Amazing!
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That kind of thing happens a lot, unfortunately. I've seen packages that didn't arrive until the next day be claimed to have been delivered the day prior. I have no clue what these people are doing. I don't think they know either.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've got 3 tracked items coming and ALL three are delayed with NO arrival estimates
***No partisan politics please***
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 51 / Views: 2,549Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05