Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Above And Beyond At This Time Of Year!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 549Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
8 Posts
Posted 12/29/2021   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add fester616 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have posted previously about being new to collecting pictorial postmarks (and stamps) from Canada. I have been sending requests to the post offices as listed on the CanadaPost website, and have been getting crisp clean cancels on my unaddressed envelopes as well as the return envelope. So far very happy with this venture! I will post pictures of my covers later.

But today I got a response from the Gravelbourg SK post office that made my day. Not only did they cancel the envelope, they included a hand-written Christmas greeting as well! Way to go above and beyond in service! Thank you Gravelbourg!
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10623 Posts
Posted 12/29/2021   12:35 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A refreshing change from the complaining that we often see about postal services. Thank you for sharing.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
834 Posts
Posted 01/06/2022   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am reminded of this postie's creativity:

Some poor dude has been trying to sell this monstrosity on eBay for a year or so. It hurts every time I see it!
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fester616 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It continues! Two days ago I got a request returned from Cherry Grove AB with a very nice note from the postmaster! Not to badmouth the postal service here in the states (my postal clerks in New Berlin ROCK!) but these folks are blowing me away.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fester616 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And one last response that made my day. A few days ago I got a response from Killaloe ON with a nicely handstamped envelope (the smaller envelope in the picture). When I went to the post office today, I found a second mailer from the postmaster in Killaloe - she sent me an additional cover because she felt the handstamp on the first wasn't clear enough. She covered the cost of a new stamp on the envelope and 4 P stamps on the mailer that I don't have!

This would NEVER happen in the states! I get blurry smudged pictorial cancels all of the time! I am loving Canada Post!!!

Pillar Of The Community
834 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the fifties, my uncle Dr. Arthur C. Hill of Sherbrooke, QC, attempted to (and succeeded in, I think) acquiring the cancellations of EVERY Post Office in Quebec. He employed the same technique as fester616, sending SASE's to the various postmasters. He also had one of the finest collections of Canadian stamps at the time and I used to soak off and bundle bathtubs full of stamps for him (literally!).
When the time came for him to retire from philately, alas, I was not the beneficiary! I wonder what became of his collection (all but the 12 penny black), and in this case, who has that complete 1950's Quebec cancellation collection?
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 549Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05