Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Have A Way To Join Ebay Shipping Costs With Orders?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 488Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1398 Posts
Posted 12/29/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's the one piece of information in my eBay sales bookkeeping that is not clean at the moment. It's how much I paid for shipping. eBay has the information in the "shipping labels" section showing the amount paid for each order. But that information isn't included in the order report download.

It looks like I could to a copy/paste of the address labels page into Excel and then write a little Excel to join the information in the two files. But it's quite messy. I'm just wondering if anyone has already solved that?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5444 Posts
Posted 12/30/2021   11:30 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't use eBay's exports to try and reconcile after the fact, as they are @&*$#&. Instead, I stay on top of things as I process orders, using the "All transactions" option on the payments tab of the website.

When I sit down every day to process pending orders, I copy the link for the transaction ID and username and paste them into Excel, along with today's date. In another column I place the gross amount received, the eBay final value/payment fees, and in another column any promo fees. I then have columns for eBay label fee, postage cost, insurance cost, and refunded amount (in the event of cancelled orders, full or partial refunds, etc.). Then I have calculated columns to give me net revenue (before cost of item and overhead) and eBay Fee % (just to keep an eye on my overall eBay-related expenses for different item categories).

Frozen top row with calculated totals gives me real-time at-a-glance summaries for different costs year to date.

When I print an eBay label, it tells me the cost, so I just pop that in the spreadsheet.

Keeping on top of this as I process orders rather than reconciliation after the fact means that everything is fresh in my memory, so any outliers will be recalled much more easily.

You have to stay on top of it though. You can't just decide to "skip a day/week/month".

The biggest pain is that while fees and USPS label costs are processed in real time (or close to it), so that they show up in the transaction feed in close proximity to the sale in question, refunds or eBay standard envelope feeds frequently lag several days, so reconciling them can be difficult.

It still boggles my mind that label fees to an external party (USPS) can show up in real time, but label fees to their own inhouse label system take days to show up. Idiocy.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revenuecollector - 12/30/2021 11:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1398 Posts
Posted 12/30/2021   12:18 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I really don't want to go that way. With the order download I have a simple copy once a month or so into excel and I'm done. Going to daily updates is not appealing. I guess I'll try the address label copy paste to excel. Going to be a bit ugly but hopefully I can get it automated.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5444 Posts
Posted 12/30/2021   12:51 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, depending on how many orders you do daily/monthly, staying on top of things could be ugly.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
691 Posts
Posted 12/30/2021   3:11 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also track those expenses "real time" using excel rather than pulling reports at the end of the week or month. Easier for me to keep on top of things that way. (I average abut 370 transactions a month).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1398 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   7:19 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd report back that I did find a report that has everything I need for my business. I bet this could simplify things for others as well. To find it go to the Performance tab on the Overview page. Scroll down to "Selling Costs" and click on the arrow to the right to see more details. On that page there is a Download report button. The report has the complete breakdown. The price, the taxes, the listing fees, final value fees, shipping paid by buyer, cost of shipping labels etc. This seems like an ideal solution.
Edited by rlsny - 04/07/2022 7:20 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 488Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05