Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Set Up Album For Aviation Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 353Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
25 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Zman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have started to separate my airplanes and put them into an album.
What is the most common way?
1. Alphabetically ?
2. By region or area
3. By continent. Then how to do islands? Oceans?
4. Any suggestions?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3378 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   08:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always wondered how people organinzed topical collections. Are you just collecting aircraft or is there some other aviation related theme such as events (first flights, etc).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
4305 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At the most advanced levels of topical collecting (i.e. exhibiting), the arrangement "tells a story", thus would typically group the images by topic ignoring the country of origin. It might trace the development of flight and group the stamps by balloons, then gliders, then pioneers like the Wrights, military aircraft, jets, supersonic, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
645 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As the earlier replies say, "airplanes" and "aviation" are two different things, so you'll have to better define for yourself what you mean. Catapult mail? Ballon montes? Zeppelin flights? Or just issues that depict something flight-related? There are a number of topical albums available if that's the way you want to go; otherwise once you have segregated all the relevant stamps, a certain order may just present itself to you.

To offer some particular answers, almost every island belongs to a continent, (the Caribbean islands to North America, for example), so no issue there… but since you want to collect topically, breaking things up geographically just undoes what you are otherwise trying for. Alphabetically, same problem… and you have to decide what alphabet to use: English? French? Other?

You could try a pure chronology, regardless of geography… when was the first balloon shown on a stamp? Who issued the stamp with the final depiction of a propeller-driven craft? Etc.
Valued Member
Switzerland
80 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuerich4 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Zman

have a look at this website: http://www.walter-kalt.ch. It's in German, but it will give you an idea of how to organise your collection. Walter can also help you with the identification of aircraft types, as the names in the catalogues are not always correct (but often copied incorrectly from one catalogue to another...).

Best regards from Switzerland

André
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
592 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As others note, much depends on your own individual interests and how you want to approach your "airplanes."

Are you interested in the aircraft by their types (lighter than air, unpowered, powered; heavier than air, fixed wing in multi/tri/bi/mono flavors, piston/jet, or perhaps rotary, gyrocopter, seaplane, glider)? or are you more interested in the places issuing?

As you mull your dozens of possible arrangement hierarchies, you might want to experiment with vario pages so you can keep re-arranging your stamps without bogging you down with album mounts and paper pages that want labeling.... You can then see what organizing principle(s) make(s) you happiest. This exercise is actually a really fun part of collecting in a topical area.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
542 Posts
Posted 01/01/2022   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a way back-burner project of collecting airplanes on stamps. I started and quickly got overwhelmed. You can get a checklist from the ATA which helps a lot. My plan was (is?) to organize them chronologically, telling the story of flight. . .I'm will never likely do much with this idea, but I started narrowing my scope to aviation before WWI which still includes the vast number of stamps commemorating the Wright Brothers. I also started paring down the countries and years I collected since I got very discouraged with the countries that issue zillions of stamps aimed primarily or solely at topical stamp collectors. I'd be interested in knowing more about how you collect airplanes on stamps.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 01/02/2022   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is some interesting ideas that was brought up. My main interest is airplanes only. The website that Zuerich4 posted looks to be a good idea.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LadyGrace to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just group things in ways that look good to me haha. I would do more chronological or story form if I was wanting to "show it" but I do what I like.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 353Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05