Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gerald King "Elizatoria" Cinderella/Fantasy Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 523Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5470 Posts
Posted 01/02/2022   1:05 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Presumably "fantasy" is more accurate than "cinderella". I was already familiar with the Snark Island and Lundy fantasies that Gerald King produced, but I was unaware of the Elizatoria material (Victorian and Edwardian designs reimagined with Elizabeth as the featured monarch, frequently in alternate/vibrant colors).

I was over at Denny Peoples' home in Indianapolis last week while on a shopping trip and he had a collection of approximately 250 pieces of Elizatoria items. It was just too cool for me to pass up. While the printing and perforating technology utilized isn't the greatest in the world and wouldn't fool anyone, they are still IMO great re-imagining of classic stamp designs.

Part of me wants to just flip it and move it on, but another part of me wants to use it as a basis for expansion, as the designs are just so darned cool.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 01/02/2022   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1 vote for the NOT cool side.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6565 Posts
Posted 01/02/2022   1:57 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blimey, and I thought I wasted my time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5470 Posts
Posted 01/02/2022   4:26 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. So much hatred for King's work... I wouldn't have expected that here.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35842 Posts
Posted 01/02/2022   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's one of those strange things about Philately,
Looked at from a distance, it's the currency (timeline) that is the negative.
Project forward a hundred years, and these may possibly be well sought after.

I cite the Aussie Kangaroo stamp, lambasted at genesis, now one of the
greatest stamps in the Aussie catalogue.

As a cinderella collector, I have witnessed the occasional bad press,
but one collects what one engenders interest in.
Bad press is part of the deal.

I must admit I have mixed feelings currently on these, there are so many. But try and have an open mind.

When we "show and tell" we are going to get mixed results, then someone pops up and says "I like what you are showing"
That's the payoff.

recall Sir Paul McCartney saying how he would talk to friends about his fondness of writing songs, with muted response, until one day he met John Lennon, whom replied, something like "yeah, I do that too"
A partnership of the century.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6565 Posts
Posted 01/03/2022   04:36 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't hate Mr King's efforts, I simply find them unappealing and pointless. However, I prefer them to the Australian kangaroo stamps and the Beatles. I'm sure lots of others will enjoy them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1719 Posts
Posted 01/03/2022   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find many of them to be quite attractive and with more eye appeal than the originals!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8508 Posts
Posted 01/03/2022   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like them. They show vastly more imagination and pleasing design aesthetics than many postal issues such as the recent USPS Message Monsters.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1239 Posts
Posted 01/03/2022   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A fun idea, some of them are quite nicely done, others not so much. Thanks for showing them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1304 Posts
Posted 01/04/2022   04:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like those Machin Penny Blacks.

Here's a Gerald King Victorian parody from my own collection: the Wonderland "Unready" envelope:

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 523Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05