Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Replica Stamps On Hipstamp

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,875Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This recent thread http://goscf.com/t/79528 involves what appears to have been some type of replica being sold as genuine on eBay for $1,325.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mystic seems like a pretty straight laced company but they sell this which is totally unmarked as replica and has the added complication of being what would be valid USPS postage... not sure if it's really even legal? Not sure who makes it or if it is blessed by USPS.

I'm surprised by the comment that replicas were not allowed to be advertised in print hobby publications. That was probably a good thing now as older collections which are coming onto the market are not inundated with replicas. I think something like the C3a replica would have sold like hot cakes to lower budget collectors during the heydays of the hobby and caused lots of confusion for people later on.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see as much of an issue with replica C3a's since it is really over the top. The other replicas are of stamps that you might actually expect see for sale on eBay and are more dangerous. If you see a C3a on eBay selling without a cert and bid on it, you deserve the Darwin Award.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please note that I wrote
Quote:
rodgcam and joe1125us not 1898. I also wrote used, which for the set of 9 stamps, 6 are set at catalog minimum value and the others total $3.60 over catalog minimum. The mint value at current discount postage rates of 60-70% of face ($3.80) is $2.28-$2.66 for the set.

I am not talking about even four figures counting both sides of the decimal point and only one figure without the decimal point.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We are discussing morality, not legality.

Well then, just go get a set of the 1898 version in the income equity morally acceptable manner, smash and grab. Check the internet videos if you need instructions how to do it.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 01/07/2022 2:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joe1225us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well then, just go get a set of the 1898 version in the income equity morally acceptable manner, smash and grab. Check the internet videos if you need instructions how to do it.

Some how or other, cant see stamps being on top of the hit list for the politically correct looters. Cant imagine why it doesn't rival high end sneakers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1812 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drew said:

Quote:
There are two Danish stamps I'll never own whose blank spaces bothered me for so long that I printed out copies of them on my home printer -- in their actual size -- but in black and white, not color. Then I cut them out and mounted them in the empty spaces. That's how deep and serious my addiction is! No one will ever mistake them for the real thing, but this points out how appealing filling a space with a copy can be for those addicted!

Paradigm pressure, I get it. But let me ask, why be a slave to the commercially printed album? They have spaces for all the values of a basic set, including the ones you can't afford, but the subvarieties go begging for space around and under the first mounted examples anyway. So why not kill both those birds by making your own pages to spec and using stockbooks/pages to create your page layouts? Then you can stick with real stamps and spare the next two generations the headache of telling good from bad. (That might be easy for you but out of reach for whoever inherits them.)

As for unaffordable Trans-Mississippi sets: consider doing them with card proofs. They are authentic archive material from the stamp producer, show the full designs and colors without cancellation, and cost but a fraction of the issued stamps. They fit standard mounts, and display well in albums for those who insist on that route.

Just sayin'
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9080 Posts
Posted 10/03/2022   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for unaffordable Trans-Mississippi sets: consider doing them with card proofs.

The proofs cost more than the stamps. In particular the $2 is a rare bird.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,875Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05