Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Discoloration Of Enamel Coating On Portuguese Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 285Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 01/06/2022   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pnjstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a Scott #80 stamp - King Luis 10R overprinted PROVISORIO that is a very dark color. Most of the enamel coated stamps I've seen from this series have a shiny white or a clear sheen. But, this one has a very significant discoloration. Has anyone else seen anything similar in their Portugal stamps? The picture of the back and the close ups of 2 corners show it to be the coating that is discolored.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2807 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I can tell, this is just a very dirty stamp. It could be improved by using a good quality soft eraser, like a Mars Staedler one usually found in art supply stores.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35180 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had nothing similar in my collection, but do concur that "enamel"? coating can be a bit strange when you fist come across it.
I agree with HB.
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pnjstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was just dirty too. Tried a water bath with some soap and also tried a soft white eraser when it was dry. The pictures I took were after those efforts. In the zoomed photos the perf tips look like the enamel coating is actually discolored while the paper is still white.

Oh well, thanks for checking.

It may be that if the discoloration does occur collectors have treated them as heavily soiled stamps and probably discarded them.

Joe
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35180 Posts
Posted 01/07/2022   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are 1001 reasons why a used stamp can show a divergence in standard.
It may have come from a badly toned cover, or chemically treated by
a new collector. Whom knows?

Personally, I scan and keep (clear) images, of anything that I do not understand, in case I see it again, or hear or read about similarities.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 285Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05