Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Russian Stockbooks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 529Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
162 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   01:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gibby01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought I'd share pictures of some interesting Russian stockbooks I picked up in a garage sale lot a couple of years back. Have 4 of these but only took pictures of 3 as one is duplicate. The good thing was they all came packed with mint Russian stamps. The person who bought them definitely purchased them in Russia, most likely in the late 70's.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Belarus
127 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This kind of stock books were produced and sold in large quantities in the USSR, they were mostly meant for young and starting collectors.

The stockbooks had different designs of their covers and were sold without stamps. Yours were bought by a foreigner in the USSR, in a shop of the Beriozka foreign trade network (that sold goods for hard currency or Soyuzvneshtorg notes). The stickers on the back of the books show it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've given up on Garage sales and Antique shops/barns as a source for finding new stamps. You just never know what's out there though.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1480 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The first one is the mascotte of the 1980 Moscow Olympics. So (very) late seventies sounds right.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
610 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   12:53 pm  Show Profile Check wheelman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheelman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting find!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1198 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are pretty cool - thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are pretty cool items to have in the collection. Congrats.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone

Quote:
I've given up on Garage sales and Antique shops/barns as a source for finding new stamps

Casey, My wife is dragging me to the garage sales anyway. Only see something stamp related at 1 out of every 50, so it's not the best way to find stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Soviet stamp books written in English... interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8154 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russia/Soviet Union have been at the forefront since the early 20th century of extracting as much revenue as possible from collectors. They are pretty much the gold standard.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
931 Posts
Posted 01/08/2022   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My mother went to St Petersburg 15 or 20 years ago. She asked me what she could get for me while she was there. I said I would be happy if she just went to the post office and bought a bunch of stamps. When she went tot eh PO, there were a bunch of 'vendors' outside selling self-assembled stockbooks of various stamps. Rather than go in and wait in line, she bought one of the stockbooks and gave it to me after she got home. Lots of pretty stamps. Anyway, it isn't just the Soviet/Russian postal service making money off of collector interest. I am sure the postal service represents the lion's share of stamp revenue there, though.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LadyGrace to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're cute!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 529Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05