Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Just Registered, And Would Like To Say, "Hello"

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,187Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Thanks. I wrote PDF but it was actually JPG. Sorry.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is my best Mesopotamian stamp. This is a lousy photo which I took. My daughter is now in the process of teaching me how to upload, and I am doing every step, including taking the photo with my phone.

Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I know it is a lousy blurry post. I will do better next time. (Do you want me to repost with a good photo that I believe I can take now that she showed me how to use autofocus on my phone?) Before now, I only talked on my phone.

Anyway, here is the question I have about this stamp. I only have a few Mesopotamian stamps, and the blurry photo is of my best Mesopotamian which is valued by Scott at around $1,000. From what I read, only 400 of this stamp were issued. My stamp is Mint Never Hinged, with perfect O.G. It is as good as that stamp gets.

Because so few of these stamps were issued, and because the area of Baghdad has had a dozen wars/revolutions/insurrections etc in that area since 1931, the last year that stamp was used, I believe there are far fewer MINT NEVER HINGED PERFECT SUCH STAMPS, I believe that stamp will be worth a lot more in the near future.

So the questions are:

1. Do you agree with what I just said. If not, why not.
2. If you agree with me, should I start a real collection of Mesopotamian stamps (probably less than 100 altogether, but one is an inverted center worth $30,000 which I will probably never get.)
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a scanned image my daughter helped me with:

Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an expert in this area but your overprint is much different then the one shown on stampworld. Your overprint is crooked, the lines of type are not straight. The o's and the 1 have a different font. Even the star is in the wrong place..
Picture from stampworld:

Edited by Gibby01 - 01/15/2022 4:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gibby01.

Sorry I took so long to respond. I have been unable to log in for three days. Here is what I wanted to send:

Gibby01,

Thanks for your observation, and I am not an expert on these stamps either. From what I can gather from stamps for sale and stamps with expertized certificates (one of those sold apparently yesterday. I made a bid on it, but the stamp then disappeared. It has a certificate and was similar to mine.

Also, see https://www.ebay.com/itm/383414389091?chn=ps

This one is currently for sale and is about the worst I have seen.

I would not try to sell my stamp without first getting a certificate of authenticity. This is an easy one to forge: a cheap Turkish stamp with a black overprint. I have seen dozens that have been off, but they all seem to sell just fine, and for decent prices. Also, there are dozens I have seen that are much worse than mine but are cancelled, which means they have gone through the postal systeme okay.

But you are quite correct in your observation. But I am not sure that means that it isn't what it purports to be. Also, I acquired this stamp about 20 years ago, when prices for it were much lower.

Finally, you are also correct that the font on the "1" in the sttamp that you showed is different from the "1" on my stamp. That could be troubling, but from what I can tell. The font used on my stamp for "1" is also used on other stamps. E.G..:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3245600905...494521700617
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GABBY01,

Also, I checked Serrane, and he is totally quite on forgeries in Either Iraq or Mesapotamia.

If you have any expert analysis of Mesapotamia of British Occupation Stamps, and you can send me the link, I would appreciate it.

By the way, the STAR appears in some specimens but not others. And also there is some times a crescent. I would really like to see a history of this stamp.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,187Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05