Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Postage Due Sheets Stuck Together

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 717Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
822 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moyock13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This particular topic has come up several times and each time it's pretty much the same answer, soak'em apart. But that's not the question this time.

My question, is there an over sized drying book available? I've done some googling and came up empty handed. Thought I'd ask the forum before pinging the individual stamp supply resellers. I'm looking for a drying book that's larger then 8 1/2 x 11. The sheets are 9 x 10 1/4.

I'm kinda hoping someone has dealt with this in the past and has a failsafe solution they would be willing to share.

Thanks all.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Moyock13 - 01/09/2022 10:39 am

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6383 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   10:50 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My old office blotter used to take A3 blotting paper, which should work.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would use plain white non-embossed paper towels.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
822 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, appreciate to response. I shy away from paper towel when it comes to unused stamps and soaking. I have spent many hours trying to get paper towel remnants from the back of stamps. =)

Oh, you can buy blotting paper? Go figure. Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
4303 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having tried several drying techniques over the years, my current (and likely permanent) drying solution is using artist sketch books. I have two like this, available at most art supply stores. This one is 9x12, and they come larger too. High quality smooth paper without printing. Opens flat. I place stamps every 4-5 pages then weight it for a while. A full sheet just fits.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
822 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Thank you, sir!
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you consider trying to freeze them first?
Edited by postagedueguy - 01/09/2022 7:33 pm
Valued Member
425 Posts
Posted 01/09/2022   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moyock13:
Just be sure you've removed ALL the gum before putting on uncoated paper.

pat
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
822 Posts
Posted 01/10/2022   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little skeptical about freezing these sheets. My main concern is moisture collected after thawing.

I ordered some blotter paper, I'm going to go the soaking route and see how that works out. I do have some sheets that were ripped in half after usage... that's the way I received them. Might try the freezing routine on them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
Posted 01/10/2022   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My main concern is moisture collected after thawing.

If after freezing the frozen sheets are placed into a sealed zip-lock type bag and then allowed to slowly return to room temperature there should be no problem. As the air min the sealed bag warms, it will hold more moisture in the air further drying the sheets without allowing warm air to condense on the cold stamps as warming.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
822 Posts
Posted 01/10/2022   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Parcelpostguy, I might give that a try.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/10/2022   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the novice question, but it's because I'm a novice.

I was given a few stuck together sheets and had the same question, with a follow on question. once these sheets are soaked, are they considered mint no gum? Trying to figure out how to note it in my inventory.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going Postal,
That is how I would list them
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
822 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Freezing the stuck sheets provided partial success. Several sheets are free, but several sheets are still stuck. I did order some blotter paper so one of my weekend goals is to soak and separate the remaining stuck sheets.

Thanks all for the advise.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are no real rules on it, but personally, I consider mint to be MNH, something post-office fresh, as issued. Anything with gum disturbances, etc., I would classify as unused. It never went through the postal system and has not been used for the mail but it is still not as issued. Used, of course, has been through the system and fulfilled the function the stamp was created for and CTO, that's a stamp that was never actually intended for postal use, it was cancelled at, or near the time that it was created, to dump on the collector market.

It really doesn't matter how you call things, so long as you are consistent and clear in your definitions.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. I think unused makes a lot of sense.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 717Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05