Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Place To Buy Watermark Detection Fluid

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 887Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I've run out of WM fluid. I'm having a very hard time finding replacement fluid at a decent price. Any suggestions? I'm in the US, Texas to be exact. Thank you.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7904 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would google for a stamp store in your area first, before you order from a store elsewhere
I just checked - there are plenty of stamp stores in your area!

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 01/11/2022 11:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Peter. Hmmm near me, that is open for interpretation living in the Houston Area :) - There is a Coin Shop very close by that I have visited, but not much stamp related - that store is more about buying and selling gold. A couple listed in town open by appointment or one day a week I could try. I did find a place called Topper Stamps and Postal History that I might check out - but looks like they specialize in stamp appraisals for estates and insurance. Anyhow - Thanks for the suggestion Peter. Nora.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6376 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   12:26 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nora - just use lighter fuel, as most of us do.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In your part of the Country, Mrita, I have dealt with the Tall Texan. He take checks/cash and is good to deal with. His site can be found online "supplies4u". Mail order of course.
Regards m
Pillar Of The Community
United States
931 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nora - GeoffHa is right. Most of us use lighter fluid - I use plain ol' Ronsonol. It is slower 'drying' than watermark fluid, but I consider that a plus. It allows more time to see what the stamp looks like while it dries. It is much more available than WM fluid, too. I've been using it for close to 50 years.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely lighter fluid. I just buy it at my local supermarket.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1100 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita,
Most of us old timers use Ronsonol lighter fluid. There are a lot of threads here on watermark fluid vs. lighter fluid.
You might want to check a few out.
Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35161 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Definitely lighter fluid. I just buy it at my local supermarket.

That's what I use.
Australia : Hard to get, all supermarkets, delicatessens, are no longer permitted to sell lighter fluid.
Why? perhaps drug use?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1301 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222, probably because of three letters. VOC- Volatile Organic Compound, considered to be health matter as it is considered to be harmful to human beings as it offgases and is considered carcinogenic.
And how many people use old style lighters these days? Its all about flik your Bik today.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8154 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread sent me to look for WM fluid and I was shocked at the cost. Yikes! Almost as expensive as chicken and gasoline in the "new" America. I demand a Philatelic Rescue Plan.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1717 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My family has been using lighter fluid since my grandfather started his collection (then dad's and now mine) around 100+ years ago. No ill effect to the stamps has been seen.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2556 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A prior thread discussing watermark fluid in general FYI, although not so much about where to get it.

http://goscf.com/t/45247
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1100 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My family has been using lighter fluid since my grandfather started his collection

When I was starting to collect, some of the old timers then used carbon tetra-chloride. Talk about a VOC!

While it was available, it did remove spots from clothing very well too though.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. I'm going to try the lighter fluid. I need to get over my hesitation. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/11/2022   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have used a product called Bestine for 50 years to watermark stamps without any problems. You can purchase it at art supply stores and buy it by the quart for about $25.00. Bestine is for thinning or reducing rubber cement.

A friend of mine purchased a British collection that had many expensive mint stamps that were attached with surgical tape to the album pages and each had a stain that showed through the stamp. I soaked the stamps in Bestine and the product not only removed the tape but also the stain and restored the stamps to beautiful mint never hinged condition without any trace of the tape, even under magnification.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 887Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05