Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Save The Nubian Monuments

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,804Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 01/27/2022   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrraphy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FDCs from my collection (not displayed re before) 1-10

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 01/27/2022   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrraphy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More FDCs from my collection (#11-18)

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Raphy,

Thanks for sharing your Nubia FDC's collection. My collection is only small part of my Mythology collection (which contains Egyptian mythology) hence I don't do efforts to have complete collection of all issues about Nubia. My collection contains only 14 FDC's, all are different than the FDC's posted by you and by Vayolene. Here is the list of them:

1) Kingdom of Laos - 2 same FDC's, black and red postmarks
2) Nigeria
3) Dahomey
4) Mali
5) Upper Volta
6) Vatican - different FDC cachet than your FDC
7) Ivory Coast
8) Tchad
9) Senegal
10) Central African Republic
11) Togo
12) Niger - different FDC cachet than your FDC
13) Egypt - Same stamp and PM like your last FDC in your first post but slightly different cachet
14) Morocco - different FDC cachet than your FDC.

I prefer to post them with the set of stamps. So here are two which I already posted the stamps, from Morocco and Central African Republic:

Edited by LaoPhil - 01/28/2022 02:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Egypt issued a single stamp on November 14, 1960 calls to save the monuments of Nubia. It shows the carved statues at the small temple of Hathor and Nefertari in Abu Simbel:

FDC with a commemorative postmark. I like this PM since it shows Egyptian motifs, unlike the PM's in my other FDC's:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Relief of Ramesses II presenting an offering to the gods of Egypt, Ramesses II Temple at Wadi es-Sebua, designed and engraved by Claude Durrens and issued by Gabon on March 9, 1964:

Photo by Dennis G. Jarvis, Wikipedia
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 02/01/2022   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A bas relief of Cleopatra and Ptolemy at the Temple of Kom Ombo, designed by Pierrette Lambert, engraved by Jacques GauTheir and issued by Mali on March 9, 1964:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 02/03/2022   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Save Nubia Monuments, on a set of five colorful stamps issued by Ghana on November 1, 1963:

Ramesses II statue, Abu Simbel Temple:

Vulture, symbol of protection, usually shown over the head of the king or his royal cartouche (see Algerian stamp posted above). Look how the stamp designer painted the vulture with Ghana flag colors:

Queen Nefertari, design based on wall carving shows Nefertari offering to goddess Hathor:

Sphinx statue, Wadi-es-Sebua:

Facade of the great temple of Ramesses II, Abu Simbel:

I have the stamps on a commercial cover sent registered from Cape Coast, Ghana to Germany:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both Dahomey and Senegal issued a single stamp each:

Priests carrying a funerary boat, stone wall carving, Isis Temple, Philae, designed and engraved by René Cottet and issued by Dahomey (Benin) on March 9, 1964:

Two Nile gods symbolically uniting the lands of Upper and Lower Egypt, designed and engraved by Pierre Béquet, and issued by Senegal on March 7, 1964:

Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrraphy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Dahomey is also available imperf. As a matter of fact, many of the Nubia stamps also come in imperforated.

Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrraphy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congo Nubia perf and imperf.

Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrraphy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Maldives issued a set of 8 stamps in 1965:

Valued Member
United States
11 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrraphy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yemen issued a set of 2 and a souvenir sheet.
Imperforated and overprinted versions exist. Here are 2.

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   02:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks, Raphy, for your contribution! Like the Maldivian set

To publicize the UNESCO day, Egypt issued on October 24, 1964 this set shows monuments of Nubia with elements from Egyptian mythology:

god Horus - Horus was one of the important deity of Egyptian gods. His name means "The One Far Above". Horus was originally the Sky god, but also War god, Hunter's god, god of Kingship and others. He usually was depicted as a falcon:

god Ha - Ha was a protector god, god of the desert to the west of Egypt that provided protection from the Libyans. Depicted as a strong young man with the sign of the desert over his head:

Ramesses II statue, Abu Simbel Temple:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 02/07/2022   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Square pillars, Goddess Hathor head, Temple of Hathor and Nefetari, Abu Simbel temples, designed and engraved by Georges Bétemps, and issued by Democratic Republic of Congo on March 3, 1964 (see imperforated version posted by rrraphy above):

Edited by LaoPhil - 02/07/2022 5:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1188 Posts
Posted 02/11/2022   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Save the Nubian Monuments, issued by Togo on March 8, 1964:

Temple of Kalabsha and relief of a goddess (Isis or Hathor):

Statue of Ramesses II:

Colonnade of the Birth House, Temple of Isis at Philae Island:

The carvings on the walls and columns of Kalabsha temple in Aswan in Egypt:
Edited by LaoPhil - 02/11/2022 12:44 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,804Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05