Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Calculating The Cost Of Certification?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 893Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
533 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Might I suggest getting the submission forms from the most likely certifying agencies and working through, if only as a dry run, what it would cost you to certify through them one or two "patient(s)" which you might have in mind.

Otherwise our thread here is quite abstract, when this is really a very particular costing exercise (with lower and upper bounds set by the agencies). The forms include various shipment and insurance provisions laid out on the agencies' forms, which will add to the costs, of course, but which are a concern.

On the one hand, you might well find that it makes no financial sense to get a certificate for a somewhat low catalogue value stamp, unless you believe it to be exceptionally well-centered and you might want to part with it, to give one example.

On the other hand, you might find that the form adds up to much more than you are willing to spend and will just assume that what you have is what you (or some dealer) believe it to be. This can be a waiting stance …. Until you really do need to know for some reason. Or until your ship comes in and the cost of certification becomes more manageable.

And then there are the instances where it will cost a bit, but you just have to know — now — if it is really what you (or a dealer) think it is, 'cause you want to either put a stamp into your album with a degree of finality and confidence that it is genuine or you want to move on, take a loss on the patient, and resume your hunt.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1238 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To put a stamp into my album with a degree of finality and confidence that it is genuine

looked over one or two of the application forms and read threw the disclaimers,
I'll be honest, unfortunately from what I make of it at this point,
doesn't seem like a very clear or a comforting process….

Edited by Just_fella - 01/15/2022 07:50 am
Valued Member
Canada
380 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it worth showing everyone here these stamps after 600 views on this thread? Have you tried the Coin Forum? Right below the clock.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 01/15/2022 4:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1238 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
show what stamps?
This is a general topic
Not specific
Just trying to gain some understanding

Im not sure I understand your suggestion about the coin forum?
(I'd like to think your being helpful)
Edited by Just_fella - 01/15/2022 08:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6108 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   09:25 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a reasonable assumption that, in asking the question, you had stamps of the type you described. You should have made clear at the outset that you did not, and that this was in "if I win the lottery" territory.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1238 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't assume,
Gain understanding
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6108 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   09:53 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have. I now understand it isn't worth my replying to your posts. Bonne chance.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1238 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for any previous replies,
Pillar Of The Community
4084 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam nailed this thread perfectly about half way down the first page of replies as "snipe hunting". Now where did I put that burlap sack?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1238 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was understood R values,
doesn't mean "lottery ticket"

I feel I've gained a understanding,
Appreciate those that took the time to try and understand my question
Learn More...
United States
10078 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   5:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
General forum suggestion...
What helps prevent multiple paged threads is posting intentions upfront and adding as much information as possible in first post. This reduces follow-up questions, any confusion on the purpose, and encourages others to invest their time in replying.
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 893Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05