Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Irritating Hand Cancelled Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 406Next Topic  
Valued Member

Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NickIreland to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have found that the incidence of uncancelled stamps has increased significantly in recent years and so has the attempt by An Post to rectify it by hand cancellations. It is especially irritating on philtatlic and commenatrative material. I have decided to type the ones I have or am about to throw away. I hope you can contribute some unusal example. So here goes. Type 1. The blue crayon used in most sorting offices.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   06:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nick,
search this forum for "Marker Monkey"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my Type 2 irritating hand cancellation. Type 2 the single stroke using permanent marker (black)

Type 3 is the permanent marker squiggle (black)

Type 4 is the angry biro

Finally Type 5 The personalised irritating hand cancellation. No ideal what comes next??
Valued Member
Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod...I am new to this so not sure how these topic categories work...will check out your link. Nick
Learn More...
United States
10114 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   07:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nick,
I combined the multiple threads into this single thread.
Don
Valued Member
Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
34158 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your topic has been covered in 73 differing THREADS
1 thread has 19 pages. 22 pages of squiggles, felt, biro and goodness knows what.

When you discover the convenience of SEARCHING the amazing database here, a whole new world may open for you

http://goscf.com/t/3853&whichpage=19#565623 br /

Your scans are excellent you must have a great scanner.

Edited by rod222 - 01/14/2022 07:58 am
Valued Member
Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot Type 6: The double whammy, where they feel that a normal cancellation just isn't enough! If there is a handwriting expert out there could this be the same biro wielding person?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6767 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By themselves, the Irish mail center cancels are some of the ugliest now being used, IMO.
Valued Member
Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Replyig to 'bookbndrbob' I sort of agree. Another problem is the nature of Irish SOAR stamps in particular that results in any cancellation becoming smudged over the stamp. There has been little imagination in cancellation design, and in recent years I think the stamp design has also suffered from oversimplification as can be seen in the 2021 Chrsitmas stamps.
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jeez those are objectively ugly, they look almost like someone tried to parody the modern corporate infographic style but then got lost along the way and took the parody for genuine intention
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6767 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree NickIreland. This seems to be worldwide phenomenon, for the most part. The designs have really "dumbed down" ...especially the most recent ones.

As far as the "stamps on a roll" are concerned, I prefer to remove the self adhesive from those that I put in my collection (town/hand cancels, higher values, etc.), but the printing is so fragile that they sometimes don't survive the cleaning process.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 01/14/2022 4:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7445 Posts
Posted 01/14/2022   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dumbed Down. Yup.
Valued Member
Ireland
56 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bookbndrbob, I have tried a number of different techniques including a range of solvents and none leave self-adhesive stamps unharmed as I try and remove them from paper. Several techniques also caused the phosphor bands to become visible and discoloured. So I finally decided to simply collect them on paper with a small border. The more I looked at modern stamps removed from paper the more I could see that I was loosing quality and also if I am honest often interesting postal cancellations and the history behind the stamp. So I have given up removing stamps from paper across the board. This is easy for me as all my collections are now in high-grade stock books, having had problems with mold using cloth bound albums. The only time I remove stamps now is when the paper is in poor condition or the stamps are dirty and need geneal cleaning. But am I missing a trick here?
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 406Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05